Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys posting another thead with some random questions. Considering I dont paint, I would like some advice on how to paint some of my inside dash. I was checking out this.http://m.wikihow.com/Paint-on-Plastic
But also I hear the most common practice is plastic dip? Is it easy ?Cost-effective ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I have a black Se was wondering what type of theme to go with black on black too common? Lol because that's what originally comes to thought.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would go with a black and dark silver/gray theme. It looks unique, but still classy. Is your whole dash, and interior black currently?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Yes you can plastidip whatever you want to on the inside. You will want to do multiple coats if thats what you use because in a high traffic area it will get worn and start to peel. It does add some character to the car and its nice you can just peel or rub it off if you get tired of it or get it somewhere you didn't mean to.

Here I did my door handle and around my air vents, but that isn't as noticeable.

This one you can see where my foot hits when I get out of the door, i have to redo that still as it has gotten worse. But I do like the look of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would go with a black and dark silver/gray theme. It looks unique, but still classy. Is your whole dash, and interior black currently?
no it's grey and the only.thing that is solid black is the panel surrounding the radio, everything is stock on this car, last owner seems like they ran it into the ground, im going to bring it to life.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes you can plastidip whatever you want to on the inside. You will want to do multiple coats if thats what you use because in a high traffic area it will get worn and start to peel. It does add some character to the car and its nice you can just peel or rub it off if you get tired of it or get it somewhere you didn't mean to.

Here I did my door handle and around my air vents, but that isn't as noticeable.

This one you can see where my foot hits when I get out of the door, i have to redo that still as it has gotten worse. But I do like the look of it.
Haha that's great, I was sitting in my focus the other day and I was thinking whats the first thing i'd paint... the air vents black? Im like nah wouldn't change much lol I like the improvement but I'm still wondering if should change that primary grey color, it seems kind of lame.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411593394.288282.jpg

I did my center console with black paint. New console and old console.

Air vents black would look good, I did grey but I had hoped it would have been darker. Oh well.

I don't think I would change the primary color to black. Just little pieces here and there. Maybe black floor mats. Pieces of the door. It's a nice combination.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
I personally like the color combination. It's the little things that make the biggest difference.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Are you looking to revamp the interior by changing the color completely? Or are you just looking to take the trim peices like the radio surround, headlight switch surround, door handle bezels, etc. and paint them?

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Plastidip is a good idea but you'd want to give it a clear coat to the high traffic areas. Many accrylic paints also work well. VHT makes a paint for engine components that works really well on plastics. Not too heavy and not to thin. You should prepare your surfaces really well before painting. Any dust, water, or uneven surfaces will screw everything up.

Also if you're new to painting, try on some smaller parts that won't show as much first to test out your paint and to get some practice.

Most importantly, use gloves and masks. You do not want those chemicals inside you. Not only are they harmful in the long run, you'll cough your lungs up for the next week.

PM me if you've got painting questions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plastidip is a good idea but you'd want to give it a clear coat to the high traffic areas. Many accrylic paints also work well. VHT makes a paint for engine components that works really well on plastics. Not too heavy and not to thin. You should prepare your surfaces really well before painting. Any dust, water, or uneven surfaces will screw everything up.

Also if you're new to painting, try on some smaller parts that won't show as much first to test out your paint and to get some practice.

Most importantly, use gloves and masks. You do not want those chemicals inside you. Not only are they harmful in the long run, you'll cough your lungs up for the next week.

PM me if you've got painting questions.
Awesome will do.[:)]

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Looks pretty darn good! Put some gloss on it, make it shiny.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts