Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interesting...

1. Is it removable/swappable? If so how easily?
2. Constantly on the charger?
What type of tablet? Galaxy tab?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
galaxy tab 3... and its not removable, I mean for troubleshooting purposes it can be out in literally 1 minute but it requires disassembly. it is on the charger constantly, tapped into accessory so it doesn't charge when car is off. running an app to put screen to sleep when not charging and to always power screen on when charging so when I turn car on screen automatically comes out of sleep and it automatically goes to sleep when I shut car off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice, unlimited data or do u hotspot it?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome!

Moved this to the Car Audio,SYNC, MFT & Electronics section for a better fit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's ideal because of the little display that stays in the car still can navigate between sources (bt audio, radio,usb etc) and there is room to keep stock stereo plugged in and mounted behind tablet... i still have control of every stock function, steering wheel controls and all because the stock stereo is still technically plugged in and functioning (besides cd)

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
wouldn't it be more convenient to have the tablet buttons on the other side? maybe you couldn't mount it that way but its nice that you were able to leave the stock radio in there too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey bass head,

I want to do something similar, but with an IPad Mini 2. May you please post specific parts and the name of the apps you used along with a how to? What is the physical size of the tablet? 8" or 7"?

·
Registered
54 Posts
What unit was in there originally? I've never seen buttons like that in the center stack like you have below the tablet.

*edit* nevermind, I see it's a Metra bezel

·
Registered
70 Posts
I already bought a 7" 8GB black Samsung Galaxy tab 4, metra bezel, and a cigarette lighter socket splitter. I have already installed a cigarette socket port underneath the glovebox next to the interior fuse box to power up and plug in my Bluetooth adapter which gives me the ability to play music from any Bluetooth device like my iPhone using my AUX port in my car. Can't wait for them to arrive so I may install them. I would like to thank fellow member "basshead" for all his help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's my Cardroid in my 04 SE Wagon... turned out all right. Still dealing with the battery issues with the temperatures here, but I've got 4.2A pumping into it. Runs off my phone's wifi (which, thanks to CyanogenMod, starts automatically when it connects to the car's bluetooth headset). I'm still on Verizon's Unlimited plan (Yay!) so data isn't a concern for me. Dell Venue 7 w/x86 processor. TBH the only reason I chose this over most other tablets is it has a sd slot. External GPS (soldered to main board, along with a secondary wifi antenna) fixes to 14+ satellites within 3 seconds. All of it is connected to the aux in of my JVC which I placed in the glove box. A simple USB ir repeater placed in the driver center air duct lets me continue to control the radio when the glovebox is closed too. Also routed a button to the dash that let's me turn on/off the screen and power it down should I need to. (not shown). I must say, I love having pandora, youtube, netflix, etc in the car, and so does my girlfriend on long trips.

Oh and having TORQUE, BEST THING EVER! Got a OBDLINK MX Bluetooth plugged in at all times. Managed to post a 10.46s 0-60. Not bad considering it's 11 years old and weighs 3000lbs with me and my tools in it.

I know my moulding (which is bondo base for strength, and then wood putty ontop of it because that's easier to form) isn't the best, but you really don't notice it. Plus, I did all of this during the recent fridged month while attending Purdue. So school comes first, car close second, followed by homework and studying :) After that, a bit of plastidip to try to get a uniform texture/color on the bezel. I'm hoping in my next install to have the bezel done professionally.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts