Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is weird.

since last week, my car had been saying its overheating, like after driving a mile. i have coolant and everything...everyone said its most likely the thermostat or w/e...ok..so i take it to ford, its been 3 days and i havent heard anything , so my mom calls and guess what. blown head gasket. wtf? ? i havent heard of this happening, and th emotor has about 16k miles on it.

man allstate is a bunch of cheapasses, when i hydrolocked my engine they had a choice between giving me a used engine, and a new engine. well. they decided on used to be cheap. the day i got my car, injectors were bad and it wouldnt accelerate. now this. they are spending more whenm they couldve just saved money and given me the 06 st engine :p bastards.

does this make any sense?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
you lucky ur insueance coverd any of it mine wouldent have there pricks

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
I'm sorry but I think it's just you. I wish it would happen to me and I'd get the choice to have an ST motor put in my wagon without me having to get one from a junkyard and build it. Oh well.. we can all dream.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how DO you blow a head gasket..i know nothing about it

·
Registered
56 Posts
hook up another seperate battery to your turbonator to kick the boost up a notch, its a rush for like a second or two.... hahahhaha

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Sounds like the company gave you a "dud"[dunno]

Sucks for them, assuming they'll replace it again (and for you, waiting while they do). Sometimes a lot of business practices don't make any sense, insurance companies certainly included.

Oh and here's a short Wiki blurb on the head gasket, mentions what blowing one means: click me! Doesn't seem engines should do it at 16k (though ours are aluminum, but I haven't heard of another doing it yet), but who knows what this one's been through?

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
nomoreavril said:
how DO you blow a head gasket..i know nothing about it
Well the head gasket, as you've probably guessed, is what seals the head to the block. A good head gasket makes sure that the oil goes where it should, the coolant flows where it should, and that the compresse fuel and air mixture and explosion in the cylinders doesn't get out. A bad head gasket can cause many problems, and there's no way to fix it. We've tried therapy, we've tried interventions, but the bad head gaskets keep mixing oil with water and allowing combustion and compression to get into the coolant. The only choice is to throw it away and start over.

oh.... ok no more reading pamphlets about junkie intervention while writing about motors. [screwy]

Anyway, you get my drift. Most of the time a bad head gasket will leak oil into the coolant or coolant into the oil. I haven't seen one leak coolant out from between the head and the block, but it's possible depending on the design and the damage. Sometimes a bad head gasket will leak compression and combustion temperatures into the coolant which will overheat a motor QUICK!! Not to mention destroy every coolant hose in the car.

How did yours go bad? I have no idea. To check for a bad head gasket, usually you look for water in the oil or oil in the radiator. Water or coolant in the oil makes a peanut buttery looking substance that sits on the dipstick. If it's left in there long enough- and it's primarily water, the water will settle to the bottom of the oil pan like oil and water should, but you still see a transition phase on the dipstick.

Was that more confusing? Do you think you're ready for Lakeside?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whynotthinkwhynot said:
I'm sorry but I think it's just you. I wish it would happen to me and I'd get the choice to have an ST motor put in my wagon without me having to get one from a junkyard and build it. Oh well.. we can all dream.
i dont think i did anything wrong:( ford says allstate is responsible since they didnt want to give me a new engine. i havent done anything different since before i got the diff engine.

"If the gasket blows, a variety of problems can occur, from compression loss (leading to power reduction, or a rough engine), to exhaust gasses being forced into the cooling system, leading to the engine overheating and increased engine wear due to the motor oil being mixed by antifreeze (coolant). If a very large amount of coolant leaks into the cylinders, hydrolock can occur, causing extensive engine damage."

wow so what happened to my engine that made them replace it, can happen again because they are stupid?? lol. watch them drop me or something....

·
Registered
55 Posts
whynotthinkwhynot said:
Well the head gasket, as you've probably guessed, is what seals the head to the block. A good head gasket makes sure that the oil goes where it should, the coolant flows where it should, and that the compresse fuel and air mixture and explosion in the cylinders doesn't get out. A bad head gasket can cause many problems, and there's no way to fix it. We've tried therapy, we've tried interventions, but the bad head gaskets keep mixing oil with water and allowing combustion and compression to get into the coolant. The only choice is to throw it away and start over.

oh.... ok no more reading pamphlets about junkie intervention while writing about motors. [screwy]

Anyway, you get my drift. Most of the time a bad head gasket will leak oil into the coolant or coolant into the oil. I haven't seen one leak coolant out from between the head and the block, but it's possible depending on the design and the damage. Sometimes a bad head gasket will leak compression and combustion temperatures into the coolant which will overheat a motor QUICK!! Not to mention destroy every coolant hose in the car.

How did yours go bad? I have no idea. To check for a bad head gasket, usually you look for water in the oil or oil in the radiator. Water or coolant in the oil makes a peanut buttery looking substance that sits on the dipstick. If it's left in there long enough- and it's primarily water, the water will settle to the bottom of the oil pan like oil and water should, but you still see a transition phase on the dipstick.

Was that more confusing? Do you think you're ready for Lakeside?
I've blown mine to where it leaked coolant. I had no idea wtf was going on with my engine because I thought I only blew the turbo and it was my first engine mishap(I miss you daytona
[:(] )

·
Registered
341 Posts
nope no problems at all yet, thank God. What a bummer though.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ford said that my engine has already lost compression. thats not repairable right?? does this mean they are gonna have to put ANOTHER ENGINE in it? do you think allstate will do that or just decid eto total it since they keep hspending money on it?

kinda wishing they would total(i know...blasphemy) but i've just had so many problems with it... if they total it i guess i have some side skirts and some projectors for sale lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts