Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any legal headers that we can use here in California? I know that with my Camaro we could only use shorty headers due to not being able to move the stock placement of the cats. Is that an issue with these cars? I see a bunch of race headers, but I assume that means that they are not street legal.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Not in Cali. The PZEV has 2 cats, one of which is integrated into the stock exhaust manifold. All headers remove that cat.

·
Registered
446 Posts
remember the pzev enging is different than the zetec, so i wouldnt say that theres a "bunch" of headers, theres only one out right now (i think)

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Well, 2, if you count Focus Central. Plus, there are some 4-2-1s in the pipe to come out in a couple of months.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I am going to have to do a lot of equipment removal before a smog inspection then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FocusOnMy2.3LPZEV said:
place the cat on your exhaust tip.
I thought that moving your cat's was also illegal. That is why I could not put long tube headers on my Camaro, they would have pushed the cats back.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Egz said:
Well, 2, if you count Focus Central. Plus, there are some 4-2-1s in the pipe to come out in a couple of months.
in cali 4-2-1 shorty headers are legal being that you probably have a focus from california and it is 2003 it is a pzev

i am not sure if there is one available

<----not too informed about the pzev (even though i own one[:I] )

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
There won't be any shorty headers possible for the PZEV. The first cat is built into the exhaust manifold and is about 2 inches away from the engine. I'm pretty sure those Krazy Kalifornians won't like you removing a cat.

But then again, I don't live there, so I don't know how well its enforced.

·
Registered
101 Posts
to well... our smog is rediculas but even with the first cat gone you can still pass im almost positive on that the problem is just removing the cat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts