Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my serp belt making some noise so looking around it seems to be wet near the idle pulley/alternator area. I can't see any leaks from the valve cover down. My oil and coolant aren't down at all but this may have just started. It's dark when I leave for work and get home but just wondering if there were any common issues with this to steer me in the right direction when I get a chance. I did some searching but didn't come up with anything. I will see if I can take a picture tomorrow if anyone thinks it might help.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Water pump or hoses near there are possibilities, what fluid is making it "wet' would be the first question before any guess helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had to take a guess it would be coolant more so than oil. I'll have to see if I can get under it or pull a wheel to get a better look. Car seem to be running ok and no weird smells (like oil burning or antifreeze) but the belt has been screeching a little at lower rpms. I did check the belt and it's in good shape, no visible cracks or anything. Car does have a little over 100k on it.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
If it's coolant, the water pump might be going out. You'll notice the coolant loss.

Most likely it's a PS leak though. That's typically the one that gets belts greasy wet. Coolant would evaporate and leave a white residue around the outside of the wet area.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Could be valve cover, oil following the parting line of the timing cover till it hits the pulley and gets flung around.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not power steering or valve cover but I did pressure wash it really good today and I plan on checking it every couple days to hopefully see where it's coming from. There are no signs of slinging from anything, I do know cars but this is in a very tight spot and was hoping maybe there was a hidden hose or something I didn't know about. The cold, rain, and daylight are my biggest issues right now (seems every day off I have it rains). But luckily I got a few minutes at work today to pressure wash it and look at it some more. My buddy at work asked how I even got the pics I took. Thanks for all the replies though and if I figure it out I will post back.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Oh ho, I bet it's crazy freakin' cold up there now............hard to work when your fingers feel like broken glass.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I pressured washed that area about a week or so ago, don't see any signs of anything wet anymore so guessing maybe it was just previous oil spilled from earlier when it was being filled and ran down into that area. Also assuming it looked wet due to the colder temps forming condensation if anything. The belt noise is much better but still there at times so I pulled the belt today and checked the serpentine pulleys and found what I thought was a good amount of play in the tensioner and idle pulley. So probably going to swap those out and see how it goes. I know I need the passenger side motor mount as well, pretty sure I will go OEM on that but undecided about the tensioner and idle pulley, thought about just getting the pulley/bearing vs the whole thing but with my luck the tensioner would break soon after.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts