Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any hope of the RS getting an automatic?

Like maybe this DCT:
https://social.ford.com/content/for...ershift-six-speed-automatic-transmission.html

Another source on Ford's DCT:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_PowerShift_transmission

It's been used on cars almost as powerful 268 hp and 280 lbf·ft.

I don't mind a stick, I've always owned a stick, but I'm not the only driver. The RS is expensive enough to rule out buying 2 cars.

Clearly VW thought it was worthwhile on the Golf R. BMW 1series hatch and the 228i/m235i also have auto options.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
No, there is not much chance if any of an automatic Focus RS.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Tremec's new TR-9007 DCT
900 Nm TR-9007 Dual Clutch Transmission Features at a Glance:
Seven forward speeds
Modular design for rear wheel drive (RWD), all wheel drive (AWD) and transaxle platforms
Torque capacity of 900 Nm (664 lb-ft)
10,000 RPM maximum input speed
Gear ratio spread: 5.6 performance oriented
Integrated mechatronics.

I this what Ford will put in the new Ford GT?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I'd like it. Would've got an ST if auto was an option.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
What a huge mistake Ford made by putting a 7 speed automatic in their new exotic sports car. [facepalm]
In the GT it makes a lot of sense as they are going for the absolute best performance possible from the car and power train.

For an ST or RS hot and hotter hatchback though it's a bit tougher to justify, though if they really wanted to compete head to head with Volkswagen I can see finding a way of using their wet clutch DCT behind at least one of them to increase sales. Though to date they have said that there were no plans for the ST and likely none for the RS either.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
In the GT it makes a lot of sense as they are going for the absolute best performance possible from the car and power train.

For an ST or RS hot and hotter hatchback though it's a bit tougher to justify, though if they really wanted to compete head to head with Volkswagen I can see finding a way of using their wet clutch DCT behind at least one of them to increase sales. Though to date they have said that there were no plans for the ST and likely none for the RS either.
I would probably prefer the manual myself but I could imagine a RS with a proper DCT (that would make the RS quicker compared to the 6 speed manual).

That being said, I agree with you that it would be highly unlikely that the ST or RS would ever be offered with a DCT.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think the RS will be more of a niche type car which caters more to enthusiasts that already are use to manual so it wont be an issue and unlikely that an auto will be an option. On the other hand the GT is a completely different animal, it will be high dollar car that most of us simple folk will never own or probably even get to drive, it will cater to the wealthy that are used the competition that has paddle shifters and such.

·
Registered
348 Posts
One could wish for an auto option especially those who would use it as a beater.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If that's the same DTC that's used in the current Focus it can barely hold itself together in that car...let alone one with AWD and 300+HP. Plus it would need a lot of tuning...because in the regular Focus it shifts basically like a regular automatic. If they could make it so it was more like the one the use in the VWs then it may be viable. I still wouldn't go for one though.

Consider this the less options this car has the cheaper and easier it is for them to make and that equals, hopefully, cheaper for us as well.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
If that's the same DTC that's used in the current Focus it can barely hold itself together in that car...
The RS (and ST) engines produce much more torque than the 6DCT250 can handle.

Imagine a RS under hard acceleration from a standing start with a proper DCT (virtually continuous torque applied to the drive wheels).

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'd like it. Would've got an ST if auto was an option.
Same, well maybe depending on price, but probably :D.

Relatively a newish driver bcos im from the city, and just never had a car before. Choosing auto was the practical choice for me, even if its not as durable. I could always learn stick in the future which i probably will, but auto seems more practical in city driving and for shared drivers. I'd love for the performance models to at least come with auto or 'automated manual'.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Same, well maybe depending on price, but probably :D.

Relatively a newish driver bcos im from the city, and just never had a car before. Choosing auto was the practical choice for me, even if its not as durable. I could always learn stick in the future which i probably will, but auto seems more practical in city driving and for shared drivers. I'd love for the performance models to at least come with auto or 'automated manual'.
Yea, I'd be all over a good dct ST. One of the reasons I like the GTi is that option.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Lame[limp][limp][limp][limp] learn to drive a stick, go get the dull looking GTI then if you want an autotragic
Lol. I can drive a stick, just have no interest when 5 days outta the week is stop and go traffic. I'd buy one as a second car so I don't have to deal with that everyday though (might get an svtf to fill that void). And I think the GTi's look good... Not as good as focus but still good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm glad that Ford is not selling out and offering CVT and auto's in ST-RS....driving a DSG GTI/S4 and 6MT is day and night.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
The art of driving a manual will be dead in another generation or sooner.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts