Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my SE sedan a little while a ago and i ordered it without the rims, and i wanted to buy something after market wise. Tirerack has a nice selection but that auto display doesn't really show the sterling gray correctly. I was hoping to see what you guys have on your cars (post Images plz) or what you think might look good on mine. BTW my car wont get here till december and i got the manual tranny on it.
[:D]

·
Registered
291 Posts
I bought my 2012 tit. hatch back with the 17" polished aluminum rims and have had positive unsolicited comments on them almost every time I go out in it. They also don't show dirt and are very easy to clean. I am very happy with their looks. The car is the metallic gray so they go well with the color.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Anything metallic grey/black will look good with the SGM... I have the 17" alloys from the SEL premium package and even they look good with the aluminum color, but I would recommend something like a gunmetal, so it's a dark dark grey, almost black but not quite.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Like those rims alot the thing is im stuck with hubbies lolz wonder how aftermarket rims look. I should have gotten the sports package eww lolz thats what happens when your not trying to spend too much lolz

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anything metallic grey/black will look good with the SGM... I have the 17" alloys from the SEL premium package and even they look good with the aluminum color, but I would recommend something like a gunmetal, so it's a dark dark grey, almost black but not quite.
where are some good places to check have any stores instead of tire rack in mind

·
Registered
291 Posts
Any retail outlet like a tire store is going to cost way more than your factory rims. Any tire store will install rims for you wherever you buy them. Save you 50% or more, buy them on line and have them shipped to you.

My dealer suggested staying away from painted rims as they chip when mounting new tires and/or weights for balancing. If you live in an environment where there is salt on the roads for snow/ice or salt water, the metal underneath the chips will corrode. My polished aluminum rims cost an extra $258.00 on my invoice for my Titanium sterling gray Hatch back. That is and was a heck of a lot less expensive than buying after market rims and having them mounted and balanced by about $1200.00. Go to the ford web page and to the Focus site and take a look at them under accessories. They look good!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i like those right but when i check fords accessories website i saw that they only had the 3 choices which are ok and i like the grey looking ones but i liked the five spoke tipically found on the titanium i want those or the grey machined ones that i cant remember what they are at the moment lolz

·
Registered
291 Posts
The painted ones to match you car color are the same style as the polished aluminum without paint. They look sweet and will save a bunch of money. Being 17", they provide a softer ride than the 16 " rims & tires. I am giving you a link but they look a lot better on the car than the link.

Here is a link. http://accessories.ford.com/17-polished-aluminum-wheel.html

It is not too late to add them to you order. [burnout]

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discount tire will price match anything online, FYI

·
Registered
21 Posts
OEM+ look alike options:

These have the same air as the Painted and Polished OEM 17's...

Or u can just go grey:

Or here's substitute for OEM mesh's...maybe they even acept Ford centercaps:

That is unless you didnt order the car with alloy wheels just because you actually wanted to avoid these kinds of wheels...which would make my post worthless [paranoid] LOL

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OEM+ look alike options:

These have the same air as the Painted and Polished OEM 17's...

Or u can just go grey:

That is unless you didnt order the car with alloy wheels just because you actually wanted to avoid these kinds of wheels...which would make my post worthless [paranoid] LOL

yeah I got steelies lolz these look nice have you seen them on any foci's though? do they really look nice and how much they range

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW if you guys have after market wheels on your focus post images on them here anybody else that might be in my situation as well or wants to customize can see the different options people have so please post dont be shy :p

·
Registered
724 Posts
Any retail outlet like a tire store is going to cost way more than your factory rims. Any tire store will install rims for you wherever you buy them. Save you 50% or more, buy them on line and have them shipped to you.

My dealer suggested staying away from painted rims as they chip when mounting new tires and/or weights for balancing. If you live in an environment where there is salt on the roads for snow/ice or salt water, the metal underneath the chips will corrode. My polished aluminum rims cost an extra $258.00 on my invoice for my Titanium sterling gray Hatch back. That is and was a heck of a lot less expensive than buying after market rims and having them mounted and balanced by about $1200.00. Go to the ford web page and to the Focus site and take a look at them under accessories. They look good!!
I have been buying cars with aluminum rims since the late 70's. Epoxy painted rims have always held up better than bare polished aluminum or chrome plated aluminum.

I have a Dakota pickup with over 200,000 miles that includes New England winters and the epoxy painted wheels are darn near perfect. Chromed aluminum is probably the worst for holding up because the aluminum is so much softer than the plating, any bump and the aluminum gives and the chrome cracks providing a place for the corrosion to start. You should see the chrome plated aluminum wheels that came on our PT just after 3 winters the chrome was peeling around the edges and the looked like crap. Replaced them 5 years ago with silver epoxy painted wheels and they are perfect except for a couple of dents from pot holes.

If you drive where there is snow and the roads are salted and you don't have a set of winter wheels i highly recommend getting painted aluminum.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I will vouch for how difficult bare polished aluminum rims are... I have Bullitts on my stang and I cheaped out and went the aluminum route instead of chrome..

it's a lot of effort but I have a good polish, and when they start getting crappy I wet sand them with 2000 grit them polish out the sanding marks... good as new!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the andyautosport.com website was good but after seeing the new stage 3 roush upgrade. I like the wheels but those wheels cost about 500 dollars a pop still looking around really want to see what you guys have give me pictures of your aftermarket wheels

·
Registered
241 Posts
Those wheels look like a major PITA to keep clean, IMO.

I wanted to keep an OEM appearance when I selected the wheels, and I wanted a wheel design that would be easy to keep clean. In May 2011, with the car only being 3 weeks old, I picked up a set of 2003 16x7" Volvo XC90 wheels for my 16" OEM tires (why get rid of new tires?) -

I had the original TPMS sensors transferred to the new wheels. The 6-spoke design was a little different from the stock offerings too, which I liked. And they are a breeze to wash.

For winter wheels/tires, I decided to sell my steel wheels and hubcaps, and picked up a set of 2007 16x6.5" Taurus wheels for the Blizzak WS70 tires -

So those are a couple of real-life examples of different wheels on SGM. [cool]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i like how you did that and this is what i was trying to see real life examples i like the simple view cause, but im kinda also urging some nice rally looking ones or grey. These look great btww and how much and where did you sell your steelies cause im thinking of doing the same also how much was to transfer the tpms

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here is my 'for sale' listing -

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262649

I sold my 16" steelies, hubcaps, and factory lugnuts (which would not work with the Volvo wheels) to a member here for only $200. He lives locally, so I met him outside a pizza joint for a super-easy transaction.

I forget how much I paid to have the TPMS sensors (valve-stem type) installed onto the Volvo wheels, but it wasn't too bad. The shop had to buy four clips IIRC to put them on the wheels. I bought new sensors for the Taurus wheels, and will probably have to buy the FordTrigger when I install those wheels for the winter (it's still a bit too warm here to install my winter tires/rims).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts