Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. My F2 RS carbon fiber wing is looking a lil roughed up. I've washed, polished & waxed it plenty of times 2 try 2 keep it looking good but 4 some reason the clear coat is looking damaged like it's been neglected. I have a CF hood 2 and that looks better than when I bought it cuz I'm always taking care of it along with the wing. Any advice on what I should do?

·
Slow n lifted
10,570 Posts
yes only thing you can do is give it to me!!!!!!!!!!

but really you should be able to take it to a body shop and they can prob sand it and put either getcoat or clear on it

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha. My uncle works in a body shop but I wanted 2 see what I can do b4 I decide 2 take it in. I like learning how to do it myself b4 I have another person touch it. I like adding new "how 2" things on my list.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can try wet sanding the white marks out and even. Then get some polish and buff it back up.

If it doesnt work out then take it to the shop.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure if it was different with carbon fiber. I've got 1000 and 2000 grade wet/sand paper. What kinda polish should I use?

I just recently restored my headlight lenses and used 1000 and 2000 grade wet/sand paper and Meguire's PlastX plastic cleaner & polish 2 get the white fog out (white fog from wet sanding). Could I use the same sandpaper & Meguire's PlastX polish 4 my CF wing?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it a bad idea 2 use plastic cleaner & polish on CF? Is there something in the plastic polish that'll damage non-plastic surfaces?

·
Registered
440 Posts
go to you uncles shop and get some rubbing compound. nothing to abbrasive tho. put that on a buffer and its kinda like wet sanding. stay in one spot to long and you will burn a spot thru the clear coat. if that dont work then sand the thing down and clear the whole wing again. to be honest that is actually the best option bc i dont think that you will be satisfied with wet sanding or buffing

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
NO! Don't use a rubbing compound, it's too aggressive. Use a polish that's meant for boats. Boats are made of fiberglass and have a resin coat too, just like the carbon fiber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts