Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've decided on a Race Red Ford Focus Hatchback SEL with the 301A package (MFT + Sony Speakers). Just adding remote start on top of that. Dealer just has to order the car from the factory which he says will take 6-8 weeks. Seats will be stone cloth since black would get too hot during the summer.

I've kinda been second-guessing the color and whether I should go with sterling grey or silver.

It is $588 to go from a HB SEL + 301A to a HB Titanium. The only big difference I can see is the push button start. Are there some other things that would make the upgrade worth it?

As far as the other options go, I wouldn't use the Nav extensively and I can get all that stuff on my phone. Parking assist would be nice but I live in a rural area and I might use that once every two years (and I'm fine parallel parking myself). Not interested in heated seats. I want the remote start to be able to heat/defrost my car in the Winter.

I'm a big tech guy so I really like the features with My Ford Touch. I know they've been having some issues with that but by August/September when I take delivery of the car the updates should be out for that.

I've got X-Plan and the dealer is taking the $750 in private cash from a brochure I got on top of that. The price with taxes + fees is under the price I was willing to pay before taxes + fees before I knew I got X Plan through my job, so I'm happy about that. Going to finance outside of Ford and get a better APR. Based on the research I've done it's hard to see me getting a much better deal unless I waited several months. Talked to several dealers in 3 different states.

I'm pretty confident I've done all the research that I needed to do, but I'd like to doublecheck and make sure there's not something I'm missing before I order the car in a few days.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've kinda been second-guessing the color and whether I should go with sterling grey or silver.
If you're second guessing the color I would go on Auto Trader and find some Foci in the colors youre thinking about. The real pictures are a better gauge then what is on ford.com IMO.

You don't want to regret something like the color down the road.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have a SEL hatch with the 301A

i have had issues with MFT. but like you said hopefully the update will fix them

I went with the 5 speed as i just prefer it as i find it more fun to drive.

I love the Color, looks awesome with tinted windows. I have the black cloth interior, as i have a dog and her black hair would show much more on the lighter color. (be smart and get a can of scotch guard to protect your interior)

i really have no complaints...only thing i wish i had was a backup camera.

to show the color more....i really like it...it stands out nicely...

·
Registered
234 Posts
The Titanium offers the keyless starting as well as a "titanium" badged cover over the engine.

I would have gone for gray or silver myself, but my last two cars were gray/silver so it's time for something a little more fun, so I am going to order a TI in the candy red (new formulation).

I also get X-plan pricing and because of that I went ahead and fairly well loaded the car up. It gets really cold here, so I could not even contemplate getting non-heated seats. I wish I could get the leather interior in stone, but it's not an option on the TI.

I'm not sure if the push button start automatically locks the car if you walk away with the key in your pocket, but it does allow for opening the doors/trunk/hatch when you walk up to the car and it is already locked. I can't count the number of times I've been walkout out to the car with my arms full of stuff (groceries typically) and been trying to reach into my pocket to get the key fob out. The keyless starting features is worth the price of admission for that feature alone.

How did you get the extra $750 off? My dealer said they have a promotion that includes $500 rebate done at time of sale, I think though that they try to tack on some extra fees such as an ad fee.

Unfortunately my sales guy is not in today, I was going to get the car ordered before we go on vacation for 10 days, looks like on the bright side the car will probably get some of the MFT improvements when it rolls off of assembly in August/Sept.

My credit union is offering 3.09%, so I'm going to put about $10K down and just finance the rest, I would normally pay cash for the car but the interest rate is so low it is like free money. Hopefully the rate does not go up much between now and when I can do the rate lock for the auto loan.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If it's only $588 more for the titanium, I would say go for it. That comes out to about $10/month if you finance it for 5 years. You could get at least $500 more for it being a titanium if you ever decide to resale it. And as someone else said, the IA keyless entry is awesome. I can't see myself going back to a car that doesn't have it.

One thing to consider though is some people were having trouble with the push button start AND having remote start. I think you have to turn the car off and restart it with the bush button every time you use the remote start. There was a thread somewhere around here.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If it's only $588 more for the titanium, I would say go for it. That comes out to about $10/month if you finance it for 5 years. You could get at least $500 more for it being a titanium if you ever decide to resale it. And as someone else said, the IA keyless entry is awesome. I can't see myself going back to a car that doesn't have it.

One thing to consider though is some people were having trouble with the push button start AND having remote start. I think you have to turn the car off and restart it with the bush button every time you use the remote start. There was a thread somewhere around here.
You don't have to turn it off - it turns itself off. It makes sense if you think about it. You can START the car with remote start. However, you have to use an IA key in order to drive it. So when you get in, the car shuts off and requires you to start it with the IA key present. You can program different keys (MyKey) to behave differently. If you have a child, that is a cool feature (set max speed a person using that key can drive).

People are not really having trouble (in the sense of it not working properly), it is just not working the way they want it to work.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You don't have to turn it off - it turns itself off. It makes sense if you think about it. You can START the car with remote start. However, you have to use an IA key in order to drive it. So when you get in, the car shuts off and requires you to start it with the IA key present. You can program different keys (MyKey) to behave differently. If you have a child, that is a cool feature (set max speed a person using that key can drive).

People are not really having trouble (in the sense of it not working properly), it is just not working the way they want it to work.
What Ford should be doing is the same thing they are going to be doing with the Focus Electric, you can "pre-charge" the car by using an Android or iPhone app to get the car started and heated up or cooled down while it is still plugged into AC power so that there's no drain on the battery.

Hyundai also has an app that talks to the car over the internet and allows you to remote start the car, turn the headlights on/off, etc, on all of their new 2012 models.

A separate remote start keyfob is seriously 1990's tech, I expect more from the engineers at Ford! [popcorn]

·
Registered
263 Posts

It doesn't really make sense. I can understand the car turning itself off if you take it out of park and the key isn't present, but opening the door?? Just means you have to start your car twice as much which can't be good on the engine in the long run.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It doesn't really make sense. I can understand the car turning itself off if you take it out of park and the key isn't present, but opening the door?? Just means you have to start your car twice as much which can't be good on the engine in the long run.
It may not make sense to you, but it makes perfect sense to me [8D]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure if the push button start automatically locks the car if you walk away with the key in your pocket, but it does allow for opening the doors/trunk/hatch when you walk up to the car and it is already locked. I can't count the number of times I've been walkout out to the car with my arms full of stuff (groceries typically) and been trying to reach into my pocket to get the key fob out. The keyless starting features is worth the price of admission for that feature alone.
Thanks, with my job I have to load stuff in and out of the car every day so it the keyless entry might be worth it for that.

How did you get the extra $750 off? My dealer said they have a promotion that includes $500 rebate done at time of sale, I think though that they try to tack on some extra fees such as an ad fee.
I drove a Focus (and a Fiesta) at the "Drive One 4 UR School" event they had here a couple months ago and they sent me a flyer with $750 in "Private Cash" on any Ford vehicle that expires at the end of July.

What Ford should be doing is the same thing they are going to be doing with the Focus Electric, you can "pre-charge" the car by using an Android or iPhone app to get the car started and heated up or cooled down while it is still plugged into AC power so that there's no drain on the battery.

Hyundai also has an app that talks to the car over the internet and allows you to remote start the car, turn the headlights on/off, etc, on all of their new 2012 models.

A separate remote start keyfob is seriously 1990's tech, I expect more from the engineers at Ford! [popcorn]
Agree there, I know the Cruze also has an Onstar app where you can start the car remotely. One would think that wouldn't too hard to add given the tech they already have in the car.

That makes sense as a security feature... you don't want to remote start your car and have someone else hop in it and take off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not sure if the push button start automatically locks the car if you walk away with the key in your pocket, but it does allow for opening the doors/trunk/hatch when you walk up to the car and it is already locked.
It does not auto lock. There is a little blacked out touch pad on the exterior door handle you have to touch to lock the doors. We have a Ti and really like it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts