Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
switching to a set of 103's ditching the iridiums and gapping them at .50? stock car other then an intake I do hear that precious metal retains heat and IS NOT good for performance.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Stay with the stock heat range it isn't recommended to go a "step colder" if your not going turbo. But you might be and I dont know.

·
FF Affiliate
31,094 Posts
If your plan is to do some engine mods , header , intake , exh , TB etc then the 1 colder will be fine you just may have to replace them more often

There is no down side to 1 step colder they will just collect fouling sooner because they wont get hot enough to keep them clean

Tom

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
If your plan is to do some engine mods , header , intake , exh , TB etc then the 1 colder will be fine you just may have to replace them more often

There is no down side to 1 step colder they will just collect fouling sooner because they wont get hot enough to keep them clean
Tom
So if you change them every 8-10k miles, there wont be really any issues going colder?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Unless you will for sure see a power and mileage increase, why change the plugs?. I have run many plugs on the dyno, and never saw squat for power unless the heat range or reach was off in left field. These were standard style plugs, not specialty plugs.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree with "Outlaw5.0" the stock plugs are platinum, just gap them at .060 and call it a day. I've had mine in the car for 6 years now, gaped at .060 for at least 5 years, I check the every 5k miles or so when I change oil and the still run fine. I'm averaging 31mpg at 70mph or so with 82,000 miles on an '05 ZX3.

·
Registered
666 Posts
i have 104's gapped at 0.60 .. runs fine for one year now

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have my 103's gapped to .55 because I remember reading someone gapped theirs to .60 and ended up checking them a few thousand miles later and they were anywhere between .60-.65

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm thinking I'll stick to .55...

·
Registered
716 Posts
From my experience the gap widens on plugs over time regardless.^^

1 - 12 of 12 Posts