Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been beatin to death, but Im getting ready to buy a brand new 16 Focus SE. Just wondering if the newer Focus's (15 and16) have way less clutch/tranny problems as compared to the 12 and 13 models.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know this subject has been beatin to death, but Im getting ready to buy a brand new 16 Focus SE. Just wondering if the newer Focus's (15 and16) have way less clutch/tranny problems as compared to the 12 and 13 models.
Unfortunately the 2016 models do indeed have bad shudder, jerking, and hesitation and failure to accelerate. I personally would not buy one. There are far to many better options out there than a DCT with known issues.

There are multiple people reporting about issues on 2016's.

I had a 2016 loaner with about 8000 miles on it that was every bit as bad as my 2013.

I have had multiple clutch replacements and reprogramming on my 2013 and currently am in limp mode with "transmission fault service now" at 30,xxx miles

The reality is that the 2015 and 2016 models do not have as many miles on them as the older models, so how do you know it is better?

Edit to add: I had current firmware and clutches, as of earlier this year in January or February.

·
Registered
497 Posts
keep your 06 focus.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Dont buy a DCT of any year. i have a 14 that shudders minimally but you will regret it so bad when it shudders one time.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Educate yourself on what to expect with a DCT.

Jerky starts, hesitation, shuddering, noisy operation, are all part of having a DCT. It's how they work. You learn what to expect and adjust your driving style to work with it.

If you don't want that, then you need to buy a car with a torque converter automatic.

EDIT: Have you ever driven a manual clutch transmission?

·
Registered
497 Posts

Jerky starts, hesitation, shuddering, noisy operation, are all part of having a BAD DCT. It's how they work. You learn what to expect and adjust your driving style to work with it.

If you don't want that, then you need to buy a car with a torque converter automatic.

fixed your post for you.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Jerky starts, hesitation, shuddering, noisy operation, are all part of having a DCT. It's how they work. You learn what to expect and adjust your driving style to work with it.

Didn't you just say this the other day:

Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
So which is it? Is it something you feel or is it something everyone sees??

I am just interested to see what happens if all the owners who complain would just take their cars out for a quick drive, pedal to the floor and see what happens. If the car starts behaving then it just means you've been driving it wrong and need to adjust your driving style. - No it doesn't.

My theory (And reason to why so many owners aren't having any issues) is that people are modulating the throttle incorrectly which the computer then tries to compensate for by slipping the clutches which causes "unpleasantness" in the operation of the transmission and subsequent damage to the clutch packs.

Interesting you've changed your story [werd]

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
What story? DCTs prefer agressive driving. I already KNOW they are quirky af, but there's nothing wrong with them when they do weird things. THAT is what I'm contesting in the other thread - it's not a real issue, it's simply perceived poorly by idiots.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cant believe how these cars have taken such dump in drive train quality. There are gobs of old Focus's around my neck of the woods that have 200,000 miles plus on them with very little maintenance done to them. I have considered the ST, but the problem is my wife is too uncoordinated to drive a straight gear.

·
Registered
137 Posts
What story? DCTs prefer agressive driving. I already KNOW they are quirky af, but there's nothing wrong with them when they do weird things. THAT is what I'm contesting in the other thread - it's not a real issue, it's simply perceived poorly by idiots.
So essentially you're calling all of us who have DCT issues idiots?! Seriously, I will be IGNORING anything that you post! You're clearly ignorant, and in the generation that believes they are never F-N wrong. Please, stay out of the MK3 forums! Good bye

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

oh yes i've driven a manual. Its what I learned to drive on at the tender age of 15

·
Registered
497 Posts
So essentially you're calling all of us who have DCT issues idiots?! Seriously, I will be IGNORING anything that you post! You're clearly ignorant, and in the generation that believes they are never F-N wrong. Please, stay out of the MK3 forums! Good bye
That dude is a troll. Everyone should kindly ignore anything he says in the mk3 forums.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
FF Affiliate
30,610 Posts
I have 2 DCT and my Wife and I both love them , I feel there better then STD ATX ( converter)
Not all DCT have issues , some a little some a lot

There is a lot of hype about driving the DCT more aggressively helps , I assure you my Wife doesnt drive that way and altho it might help some it rarely works in long term

The DCT it self seems to be very well built , the clutches hold up well , the TCM is a big issue but Ford seems to be covering them under extended warranty , I have had one replaced

1 vote FOR the DCT

Tom

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have 2 DCT and my Wife and I both love them , I feel there better then STD ATX ( converter)
Not all DCT have issues , some a little some a lot

There is a lot of hype about driving the DCT more aggressively helps , I assure you my Wife doesnt drive that way and altho it might help some it rarely works in long term

The DCT it self seems to be very well built , the clutches hold up well , the TCM is a big issue but Ford seems to be covering them under extended warranty , I have had one replaced

1 vote FOR the DCT

Tom

only thing you forgot to mention is that your dct are tuned... its a diff story for some without the tune

·
FF Affiliate
30,610 Posts
only thing you forgot to mention is that your dct are tuned... its a diff story for some without the tune
Anyone can buy my Custom tune from me ! I made the post mostly to show that some do like the DCT and feel its a good product

I have dove them and taken them apart as well as have 2 Full turbo kits running on the DCT making in the 220-240 HP to the wheels and there holding up fine

Tom

·
Registered
364 Posts

I have to agree. The only shudder i get is minimal, very much like a manual not getting enough power for the gear. That is only when I've been driving the piss out of it then I suddenly want to drive eco-style.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts