Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, dumb question, but which anitefreeze/coolant does it use? Mine is way below the Min. line.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Sorry, dumb question, but which anitefreeze/coolant does it use? Mine is way below the Min. line.
Just grab some motocraft coolant from the dealer. It’s actually not very expensive at all.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks I'll do that.
FYI, starting with the 2012 model year, Ford specifies the orange variant. Dealer should know this but just to be sure. This stuff is equivalent to Dex-Cool which is more of a specification than a brand so it is now manufactured under different labels. So, if it is easier to just go to your local parts store or Walmart, you can just look for that.

·
Registered
16,026 Posts
You can use any coolant you want, there are really no new materials being used there which were not in the '60s. The oldschool green one year type can protect far faster than the later long life (OAT type) as they can take up to 6 months to get full protection, the one year does that instantly. I use one year and up to 3-4 years, it does not go bad nearly as fast as people would have you think. I dumped the longlife as I had severe corrosion issues using it, the reservoir turned purple inside.

Read, there is learning there........even though maybe 20 year old article, it still has merit.

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/coolant-confusion-its-not-easy-being-green-or-yellow-or-orange-or/

Take note of the sentence....

'These organic acids are very stable and last a long time, although they take THOUSANDS OF MILES TO BECOME FULLY EFFECTIVE (caps are mine) in protecting coolant passages.'

And the one about later coolants weakening plastic as well. Oldschool does not do that.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Motorcraft orange coolant is pretty much impossible to find, but dex cool is the exact same stuff and everyone carries it. That's what I use and you can buy it prediluted for easy top ups. If you're just a little low, get your oil changed at a Ford dealer and they will also rotate your tires and top off all your fluids.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Take a look at both the bottle and the Y connection on the coolant hose on the passenger side of the motor. My 12 had a crack in the bottle, as well as a leak at the plastic Y connector. You can't replace just the Y connection as it's part of the hose. The whole hose is huge and snakes around to the back of the motor from the coolant bottle. I ended up cutting the hose before the connector and splicing in a length of the same hose (including new Y connector) I got from the junkyard.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Also check the cap & make sure its tight.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I filled it just above the min line after I got my coolant.

After driving for a while I checked at my gas station and it’s below the kin like again so I filled it to the max line.

Do coolant levels go up and down?

I’m scared there actually may be a leak. However I’ve been driving it below the min line for quite a while snow and the engine temperature needle never complained.

Should I fix it? I’m low on cash.

·
Registered
35 Posts

After driving for a while I checked at my gas station and it’s below the kin like again so I filled it to the max line.

I’m scared there actually may be a leak. However I’ve been driving it below the min line for quite a while snow and the engine temperature needle never complained.

Should I fix it? I’m low on cash.
I had the same issues with mine earlier. Turned out to be the water pump was leaking, I had no idea... Dealer saw it weeping and advised it should be replaced before it completely failed. Haven't had any issues with the coolant level since.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Motorcraft orange coolant is pretty much impossible to find
$22/shipped on Amazon.

I fill mine above the min line and a few weeks later it tends to settle a bit below it (min). It's done that for 60K+ miles, so I no longer worry about it. Just monitor yours to see if if keeps dropping.

·
Registered
9 Posts

After driving for a while I checked at my gas station and it’️s below the kin like again so I filled it to the max line.

I’️m scared there actually may be a leak. However I’️ve been driving it below the min line for quite a while snow and the engine temperature needle never complained.

Should I fix it? I’️m low on cash.
Just check for leaks. Had to replace my water pump recently . It started as a really small leak, a drip here and there but just after a few days it led to it not being able to hold any coolant in at all . Was bone dry.
Water pump is only $60 so it's not that expensive of a fix . If you go to dealer though then you're looking at hundreds of dollars which is bs.

However yours might not even be leaking. Just monitor it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts