Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ialso a new member but have been coming to this sirtte for awhile now i need some serious help I have a 03 focus the problem started a while ago i am a mechanic bit can't figure this out for the life of me I no the problem has to do with the pats well the milage on the dashboard blinks with dash lines no numbeds the red thEFT light blinks then stags solid car will not sart but i can leave the battery diconeccted for a day then everythings is k to normal after everything is cleard but after an hour or six hours or after shitting it on and off right back to where I was also when the antitheft comes on the CPU will not read at all just says error even when i use our snapon scanner I need any help I can get I've been told keys need to be reprogrammed along with the ecu aLSO been told my ecu is bad

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Please proofread.

The misnomer that dashes in the dash means PATS has run rampant on the internet and apparently is law. Fact of the matter is, all the dashes mean is that the gauge cluster lost communication with the ECU. Nothing more or less.
So the dashes can simply be a fuse issue or a poor connection.

The only correlation will be that if the gauge cluster has dashed that you will not get a scan tool to work. This is because it's the same wiring to the DLC as the gauge cluster.
And if that is the case then it's a good bed it's a fuse problem ... IIRC it's a some 5 or 10 amp fuse in the passenger fuse box; see owners manual for location.

If that isn't the problem, check grounds. The main grounds for the ECU are on the passenger kick panel. Generally no problems with them.
There is a little Black/Orange coming off the negative at the battery that does go missing from time to time. It goes into the harness that runs under the airbox. It's also a ECU ground IIRC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of the fuses are good and i went threw all my ground connections and redid all of them as in I sanded all the paint and the conhectors for a bbetter connection and the problem still occurs checked all he relays so and found nothing is there any thing else it cwould be i don't to buy or take to the dealer to reprgram for nothing

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
If you see ------- on the ODO then yes that means the dash and ECU are not communicating which means the PATS has been activated , yes it could be fuses , the ground wire to the Batt but in the end it still means the dash is not communicating with the ECU and its the PATS causing this

Tom

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
The misnomer that dashes in the dash means PATS has run rampant on the internet and apparently is law. Fact of the matter is, all the dashes mean is that the gauge cluster lost communication with the ECU. Nothing more or less.
Your entire reply was very good, but especially wanted to echo what you said, -shown in bold.

If you see ------- on the ODO then yes that means the dash and ECU are not communicating which means the PATS has been activated , yes it could be fuses , the ground wire to the Batt but in the end it still means the dash is not communicating with the ECU and its the PATS causing this

Tom
Some of what you said is mis-leading, -shown above in bold. PATS has not been activated (any more than normal). PATS is not causing the dashes. PATS is a victim of a data-bus failure. PATS is unable to do its' job because the PCM is sick, busy or pissed off at the world. Why the data-bus is failing is the big question. Both you and iminhell identified some very good potential sources of the failure.

@OP, Adding to what the others guys said... A couple months ago, someone had a couple wires smashed underneath the passenger seat; part of the Restraints Control Module system; this crashed the ISO-bus & caused dashes in the odometer & caused a no-start. This is one example of how the ISO, CAN or SCP-buses can crash. If I was you I would pull out, inspect and clean the circuit board of the instrument cluster -or- if you have one, swap another cluster in as a test. Not common, but a defective instrument cluster can cause your problem.

Knowing the car model, engine type and options on the car (ABS, Aux Cluster, HID lights) will help you/others identify how much data-bus wiring you have and what else could be checked-out.

If you are seeing other systems not turning on, the PCM Power/Power Hold Relay Diode might be intermittently working/not working. Doubt it, but wanted to at least mention it. Diode is located inside battery junction fuse box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK so I checked everyng but thee dioed but one thing i found a wire going to my bjb on the fan relay it was cut then put back could that be mtaking the cluster aand or PCM not work ccorrectly / was also thinking about changing the cluster cuz s cheap bit rather not if I dnot have to all wires fuses in hood and near PCM/ecu are all fine aand grounded im lost

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
OK so I checked everyng but thee dioed
You have not checked everything.

i found a wire going to my bjb on the fan relay it was cut then put back could that be mtaking the cluster aand or PCM not work ccorrectly
What does "put back" mean? We can not see what you see. Only you know the answer. If the wires are incorrectly repaired, not repaired; Yes, this can cause your problem. That area (on many Foci) has a cooling fan diode and the PCM power hold relay diode.

Reminder: "If I was you I would pull out, inspect and clean the circuit board of the instrument cluster".

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Another hint is to throw in some punctuation occasionally. It's really hard to figure out what you're saying when it's all one giant sentence.

I've heard of this type of problem being solved with nothing more than a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol to clean up the contacts on the back of the cluster. Taking it out is a fairly simple procedure...just keep it upright while you're working on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts