Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the car's been lowered (1.5") new springs and new dampners so how about a new rear sway bar???? But which one?
From what I understand the stock rear sway bar on a ZX5 is I think 20mm. The SVT
sway bar is 21mm, Progress is 22mm, H&R is 24mm and Eibach is 25mm. I realize that
the larger the bar means means more stiffness but how much is too much before having an adverse effect on the cars performance. Is it possible to have the rear end too stiff?

I don't race or autocross and it's basically a daily driver that I do drive hard when the opportunity arises. I have Steeda springs and KW dampners. I was leaning towards the Progress (22mm) but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the possible performance difference between that and going with the H&R (24mm)[paranoid]

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
with my hatch completely gutted and the eibach sways, on extremely hard/fast turns, the ass end goes out some, but with sticky tires, this car friggen holds the road, if you want the change in steering, understeer/oversteer...thats where you should make your choice, and then decide

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's really tempting to go for the fatty sway bar. Front-drivers tend to understeer when you get on the gas, they plow when you brake; about the only way to get the tail out is a handbrake turn or left-foot braking (while on the gas, of course). But you have to be careful. You don't want the car to swap ends while slowing down for an offramp in the rain (or on ice).

If you go for the big rear bar, be prepared to swap it out at the first sign of twitchiness. Or go amuse yourself in a big empty parking lot on a rainy/snowy day and try to provoke a spin. If you spin without even trying, the bar's too big.

An autocross is a great way to find the limits of your car in a safe environment. I highly recommend it.

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
I have the Progress bar, urethane bushings and links (rear) (bushings on front and rear bars), and the revised front endlinks. I also have corrected camber in the rear and a FS rear stress bar. My car tracks straight and flat, and it feels like the rear is at the point that it helps steer the car into a turn if that makes any since (you have to feel it). I can get the rear out, but it would have to take a lot!!! I think it is perfect...

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you add the rear camber kit?? Did you lower your car more than 1.5"??
I have heard alot opf people say that you don't need the rear camber kit unless
you lower it more than 1.5".
I believe I read the progress bar comes with the urethane bushings, did you buy
urethane bushings for the front and keep the front stock sway bar?

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
mjclary2 said:
Did you add the rear camber kit?? Did you lower your car more than 1.5"??
I have heard alot opf people say that you don't need the rear camber kit unless
you lower it more than 1.5".
I believe I read the progress bar comes with the urethane bushings, did you buy
urethane bushings for the front and keep the front stock sway bar?

I am using the Steeda springs. About a 1.5" drop in the front and about a 1.75" drop in the rear (levels the car). I used the busings that came with the Progress bar, but changed their cheap endlinks to Prothane ones, and used Prothane on the front with new Ford cast aluminum endlinks (I broke 2 original ones. The replacements are much heavier). I also have urethane in the motor mount. Trust me, the camber kit really helps with turn-in response.

BTW I have 17x7" rims with 215/45/17 tires

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where is the best place to find the Prothane endlinks and the Ford aluminum endlinks.
Did you use Prothane bushings in the front in combination with the Ford aluminum endlinks?

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
mjclary2 said:
where is the best place to find the Prothane endlinks and the Ford aluminum endlinks.
Did you use Prothane bushings in the front in combination with the Ford aluminum endlinks?

Thanks in advance for your input.
I got the busings at www.newedgeperformance.com, and the endlinks at the local Ford dealer. Yes they are used in conjunction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts