Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi FF!
So as you might have guessed by now I have a question about my anti-roll bar link rods. As many of you might know, that stock rods are cast pieces that aren't worth much as far as quality is concerned. Mine have already broken, due to pot holes no doubt, and i'm looking into acquiring new rods to stiffen up the performance. I'm thinking into just getting a new bar along with the rods while i'm at it but am not quite sure until I do a little more homework on prices and what not. I wana know if there is any reason that I couldn't buy link rods to replace my broken ones right now and just buy an afterbmarket roll bar sometime in the future. Will the "stock" fitting rods match up to the specs of an aftermarket bar? There isn't a point in paying for links if i'm just going to have to replace them in the future. Or are the measurments and specs of the rod length universal? I found these from FordParts UK... what do you guys/gals think? Is there a better value out there? Any and all help would be appreciated!

this is what i'm talking about

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Moog has a popular heavy duty replacement end link. I like Duralast units from Autozone for about half the cost. They're big and beefy as well. Word has it that Ford has revised the design and the new ones are suppose to be stronger. I would make sure when ordering that you are indeed getting the new design instead of some old stock.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
T answer one of the questions,
Get the links now, they'll fit any replacement bar later...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes the end link bars fit all front sway bars.

I just got a pair of the Duralast one this last weekend for my wifes wagon and there awesome! Gezeer had said they were and I have to agree. There only 12 bucks each and have a lifetime warrenty with them, so get a rip in the boot they'll give you a whole new link. They are also much heavier duty than the stock one.

The stock front bar is a good size bar already, unless you plan on doing a huge rear bar, I wouldnt worry about changing the front bar.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sweet gentlemen... this is exactly what I needed!!! So the bar is beefy enough huh?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info Nocalfocus01... I actually got the Duralast links that you mentioned. But now I got another question. I was thinkin of painting them before putting them on... do you think that this is a good idea or useless?

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
you can, but they will end up dirty from grime and brake dust and stuff, so prolly not worth it

·
Registered
93 Posts
The OEM part has been redesigned several times. I have the most recent OEM endlink, and its a single aluminum casting, versus the welded steel rod of the original.

I would think that the single aluminum casting would be much stronger than the welded steel rod.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had two of the redesigned ones fail when the pillow ball pops out. I think I'm just going to get the auto zone replacements like posted above.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
If you keep an eye on Rockauto.com they have sales every once in a while . That was were I got my Moog End links at for about $30 including shipping..

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
let me guess... you got that from the fj forums huh? Yeah I saw them too, but these have a lifetime warranty so i'm good. And Lowe9, I know they're aluminum but the problem is that they're also a cast piece. The fact that they are cast as aposed to any other type of manufacturing makes them prone to brakage (ie. potholes).

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Yes the OEM ones are prone to snappage. Dont thank me, thank Geezer, he is the first one to get them and use them. I took his advice.
I doubt I was the first to use them but I felt it was appropriate to spread the word about something that seemed durable and also cost less. I think I was the one that also found the Moog's years ago as well (when the Ford units started to snap and only the same old stock units seemed to be the only replacements. Once again, the Moog's seemed the best at the time and are still good. The Duralast ones seem, at least to me, just as good for less money, and readily available from thousands of Autozone stores. Only time will tell if they truly are decent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts