Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 ford focus se sohc spi
So around 2 months ago my valve seat dropped, after 2 months of hard work, i've replaced the head, piston head and rod #4, and rings on all 4 pistons, water pump, thermostat, flex pipe etc. and all new gaskets.
Went to go start it up today and wouldn't start, so i decided to take the spark plugs out and crank it by hand, and antifreeze fly's out 10 feet.
How did antifreeze get in there, and why, and what should i do to fix it.
Its winter here, and can't take many more days working in this cold... was really hoping this would be it.
Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
I would guess and say that the head gasket was not installed correctly if you got antifreeze in cylinders without the engine even having been run.

Or........the replacement head is bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the Gaskets pretty simple I don't see that messing up, I torqued the head and everything.
What will the antifreeze get into, the cat?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Like Focusknot said, those are pretty much the only two ways the coolant can get into the cylinders. It could be a faulty gasket or the surface of the block or head wasn't smooth enough. Or the head has a crack. Is it in all the cylinders?

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
...will the antifreeze get into, the cat?
Yes, as it will go down the exhaust. But that is the least of your worries.

I didn't mention this earlier because it is more rare than a cracked head, but a cracked block can happen with a dropped seat in the SPI.

I think a good thing to do is to get an inspection scope and look inside the cylinder(s) where you are getting coolant. Put the coolant system under pressure and see where it is entering the cylinder(s).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Only the 1 cylinder and not the one that the seat dropped on it. I will most likely just take the head off again and check the gasket. I'll keep the cracked block in mind ty.
One other thing can anyone confirm that a hose from the water pump does go into the intake?
judging by this photo I may have plugged the line from the water pump to what is labels as the vac hose for canister
Oh God what am I in for

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sorry but I hadn't seen your last post before I answered.

If you had coolant in the intake, I would expect to find it in all cylinders and not just #1. On the other hand, it's hard to see how a hairline crack in the block or head could have leaked so much coolant, especially with a cold engine. So the possibility of something wrong in the intake section could still be valid.

This thread might be of some help too - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292849

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I would bypass the water hoses going to the intake. Might have a leak on the inside. But get all water out before you try and crank it again with the spark plugs in. Blow all 4 cylinders out. And if you can remove intake again I would. Don't want to see you blow a hole through the block.

Yes remove plugs before you turn it over.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Better to find a plumbing problem than have to tear it apart agaqin.

Get the water out (spin over with the plugs out) & get that thing running to dry it. Check the oil level first, to make sure you didn't get much in there.
Change the oil as well.

You want the water out before a cylinder starts rusting to cause trouble.

(Typin' at the same time I see, looks like the prob. was found with a water hose on a vacuum port....)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so I'm pretty sure the hoses were hooked up wrong, does anybody have detailed picture or diagram for the back of the intake as to which hose goes where. And any idea how to get about a litre of antifreeze out of the intake we have taken the hose off the bottom nipple and some came out but looking down the intake I can still see allot of antifreeze

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Create a siphon out of a parallel airhose running into another using bernoulli principle. Or pull the intake. Drill driven pump or hand pump with a cheap fuel siphon hose. Not rocket science.

A good lesson here in thinking before doing. Always never enough time to do it right but enough to do it over. Be glad you didn't put plugs in and crank it, you'd be looking at bent/broken rods by now.

If intake never cleaned out from last time you may well have blow up pieces in it too that often come out again to crunch the new engine work all over. Many have done it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have no knowledge of your engine but could this help (pages 2577 - 2583) ?

http://workshop-manuals.com/ford/fo...anifold/component_information/specifications/
That actually helps, Thanks. After 2 months, it's hard to remember what goes where.

Create a siphon out of a parallel airhose running into another using bernoulli principle. Or pull the intake. Drill driven pump or hand pump with a cheap fuel siphon hose. Not rocket science.

A good lesson here in thinking before doing. Always never enough time to do it right but enough to do it over. Be glad you didn't put plugs in and crank it, you'd be looking at bent/broken rods by now.

If intake never cleaned out from last time you may well have blow up pieces in it too that often come out again to crunch the new engine work all over. Many have done it.
i got most of it out, with a fuel siphon hose, i was more worried about what i couldnt get out with that.

As for why it happened, it had been 2 months, and a friend hooked them up while i was doing the exaust underneath, and had not noticed the coolant hose leading to nowhere, when pouring coolant in i noticed it leaking, and put it on the 1 nipple i could see didnt have anything on it.

I did try to start it, but it never did obviously from there, i hand cranked it, hopefully there is not to much damage.
And i did clean out the intake and exaust from before.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..............bad, even the starter can bend rods.........you'll know if the engine gives a lurch and lugs down like something wrong for a second. Seen starters do that plenty of times.

Luck...................

1 - 18 of 18 Posts