Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a shorty antenna on my zx3 currently but I still think it would look better if there was not one on the roof at all. Is there a way to get an antenna like the Expedition has where it is in the back left window. One of my friends said that it could be done but not cheap and then others have said it cannot be done but I want to hear your opinions on this.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well ANYTHING is possible it's just a matter of $$. I'm assuming you would need body work and paint for the roof and that would be the most expensive part, but I'm not exactly sure as to how the whole antenna assembly is attached. Maybe go to a custom shop and have them look at it and give you a rough quote?? Then again, would it be worth all that money?

·
Registered
161 Posts
This is just thinking off the top of my head, so I may be completely wrong, so here goes:
The antenna simply connects to your head unit through that single port, right? If there is no added realy/transformer/something between where it plugs in and where it sticks outta the roof, I would assume you could just buy some more of what that cable is, and run it somewhere else.
Like NewFocusGuy said, patching the hole would be the tougher part. The way I see

·
Registered
161 Posts
This is just thinking off the top of my head, so I may be completely wrong, so here goes:
The antenna simply connects to your head unit through that single port, right? If there is no added realy/transformer/something between where it plugs in and where it sticks outta the roof, I would assume you could just buy some more of what that cable is, and run it somewhere else.
Like NewFocusGuy said, patching the hole would be the tougher part. The way I see it, you could either just use a cut piece of rubber to fill it if you didn't mind a black nub, or you could do a fiberglass patch or similar material.
Just my view, someone correct me if I'm obviously wrong here.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You can mount the antenna anywhere you please as long as you can afford it. You could run into some extensive metal work depending on the look you are looking for. I personally like the foci antenna on th roof, although I do want to replace the factory one with a small billet one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the look of the shorty a lot more than the way the factory antenna looked. I was just wondering if there is any company who would make a custom window with the antenna wired inside it like that of a Expedition. My friends dad said he would help with removing the old antenna and fixing the roof where it was for little charge, since he has a shop that works with body panels on cars(or something like that).

·
Registered
798 Posts
chuka said:
I do want to replace the factory one with a small billet one.
Don't somebody will steal it and it will literally be gone in 60 seconds.

As far as the whole antenna in the window thing. I know for a fact that they get the worst reception. The STi's have them in the rear window and it won't pick up jack squat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My grand prix's antenna was built into the back window and I never had a problem with reception, I guess it all depends on the design of it.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
You can drill a hole in your shorty antenna, add a set screw and it won't be gone
in sixty seconds. Try it it works.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just saw something cool the other day.
I saw a ZX3 2 cars in front of me coming home from work, so I did the usual eyeball check to see if they had any exterior mods. The one that I saw was pretty neat, they had moved the stock antenna further back, just in front of the little lip piece between the hatch and the roof.
Again, I was 2 cars behind them, it LOOKED like the stock one, but it may have been aftermarket. Just saying that I did see that someone had moved it. If not for the fact that I had to hurry home, I would have followed them to the gas station they stopped at and asked them about it (and given them this web site!).

·
Registered
965 Posts
All of that is just too much work for me. I'm just goin to go with the shorty. I think it looks good. If you do end up doin the window thing you gotta post some picks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts