Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,
Working on my daughters '03 ZX5 Zetec automatic. Great forum, helped me find the collapsed PCV hose.
Heres the problem, when going easy on the gas and low load on the tranny, it will shift through all the gears and the TC will lock-up like it should. When you get into the gas to get going quickly like an on-ramp or uphill, it will windup the rpms as high as you want to go without shifting until you let off the gas. Then it will shift and windup the rpms until you let off the gas. It does this for all the gears. It doesn't shift hard and it will down shift if you get on it but once again it won't shift until you let off the gas.
No CEL and no codes show on a CAN/OBDII reader. Fluid level is in between the marks when warmed up and engine running. Fresh fluid and filter.

Been doing searches and reading the different threads on tranny problems, each one seems to be slightly different.
Thanks for any help or insight.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Might try someone else's reader, some don't pick up trans codes well if cheaper one. How many miles on the car? Sounds like you're missing some pressure somewhere, the soft shifts and flareups. Problem develop slowly or all at once?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car has 114K and I just changed the fluid and filter this spring/summer. This was a just happen. Earlier this year the radiator hose blew, so I re-did it and new plugs, wires, and tranny service. Car ran fine. Then it started having electrical issues finally got my daughter to go get the battery checked and found the battery bad. Car ran fine again. Then after a month or so, more electric problems, this time the diode in the alternator was bad, new alternator, the car ran fine for a day. Then it started acting up with the way the engine was running, found this forum which lead me to the PCV hose. Fixed that and the car was fine for about a day and that is when the current issue with the tranny showed up. I may have to break down and go to Ford or find a decent shop to get the tranny hooked to a computer and see what is going on. I'm using an INNOVA 3040 CAN/OBDII scanner.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
A reach but possible EPC solenoid, it should show a code. That solenoid regulates line pressure to a great extent. Someone needs to measure line pressure there. Could be a sudden hydraulic leak almost anywhere to affect line pressure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts