Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, before i got my focus i really wasnt into cars that much, so im in the process of learning more. so im sorry if this seams like a dumb question.

I was told i need a new inner tie rod when i got new tires put on my car (which would explain why my front tires were wearing so wierd). I called advanced auto and they said i could get the bottom of the line for $25, middle of the line for $35, or top of the line for $45. how much force is put on the tie rods? should i spend the extra money or is a cheaper one going to be just as good as a more expensive one?

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Go with a cheaper one, unless you plan on highly modding it and pullings 1G around corners..

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
check aftermarket, you can get them even cheaper!! just go w/ the cheapest as even it will hold up on hard turns!!!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Get the good Moog part. It comes with a lifetime warranty. So much better construction than other companies. Do it yourself and save some money. It's not a real tough job just takes patience, a 22mm wrench, a 15mm socket and ratchet, a pry bar (to put pressure on the outer tie rod when removing the nut) and a pipe wrench.

·
Registered
347 Posts
heres a question for you about the tie rod ends, are you sure that is the problem? such as hearing clunks while turning the wheel at a stop. just so your not going out and buying inner rod ends because someone else told you that's why your tires are wearing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, i dont really hear any noises when i turn. i wouldnt doubt that they are bad, but i dont think they are that bad. i am holding off on them and seeing if the new tires start to wear un-even before i go out and do all the work of replacing anything.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
why dont you look at them and find out?

also...is the 20 bux really worth your life if it fails? spend the money and get the better part, piece of mind is priceless IMO.

i had moog tie rods and ends on my car

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea, i dont mind spending the extra 20 bucks, i just cant really afford the $85 (plus $116 for labor and $75 for alignment) that the auto shop was going to charge for the moog.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
dude...buy the moogs and do it yourself.

count the number of threads and put it in the same place. at the very max youll need a new alignment.

check rockauto.com and im sure you can find something that will work for you. they have moogs. they are actually 17 or so a piece.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
omg thats awesome!! thanks besthaticouldo! read the how to, so i know how to do it myself, just gotta first see if i even need it or if the guy just wanted an excuse for my tires wearing more on the inside, and get a pickle fork.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
sure thing man...no problem...

rep is always appreciated! lol

if you have questions on how to do it...go ahead and PM me and ill repsond with my cell number and i can try and talk you through it.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
omg thats awesome!! thanks besthaticouldo! read the how to, so i know how to do it myself, just gotta first see if i even need it or if the guy just wanted an excuse for my tires wearing more on the inside, and get a pickle fork.
rent a small pitman arm puller, it won't damage the boot

better yet just replace the outer at the same time with a moog part as well. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry besthaticouldo.. i thought about that when i posted last time, but im still fairly new to the site.... wasnt sure exactly how the whole rep thing worked.

Rep given

·
Registered
347 Posts
remove the nut on top of the tie rod end, and whack the knuckle part with a hammer a couple of times, and the tie rod end should pop out no problem, i had to replace a wheel bearing and if you hit the tie rod end holder on the knuckle, it will pop down. even after a few swift whacks, and it doesn't fall, put the nut back on the top of the threads just enough to screw on a little, and give the nut a hit, it will pop, i assure you that. don't worry about the pittman arm puller, just don't whack the threads. also, i don't know if you have, but check for up and down play with a big pair of channel locks, to see if your ends really are bad, if they are, there will be a little bit of up and down play.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts