Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.lathewerks.com/model.php?model=Impreza WRX&carcompany=Subaru

Noticed the WRX, like the SVTF, uses a threaded M12x1.25 shift knob, and attaches the boot in the same way, too. These knobs are too expensive for me, but thought you guys might like them.

Oh, if anyone gets so happy about this that they want to buy me one, too, I like the gray stainless steel one, or the black aluminum one, or the black polymer, or the black hybrid polymer. :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
they look nice, but yea i clicked on one that was $169, for a piece of metal, too much. but they look real nice

·
Banned
589 Posts
I dont have an SVT but I was wondering... Since the Mini Cooper uses the same Getrag tranny as the SVT, wouldnt the shift knobs be interchangeable between the 2 cars?

·
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
transmission =! shifter threads

the svtf uses m12x1.25 threading for the shift knob... as do a few other cars (some Scion, the WRX, a Tacoma, certain 2005+ mustangs, ...)

the mini cooper does not seem to use a threaded knob, it, like most other cars, just uses a set screw in the side of the knob. there's nothing WRONG with this, but threaded knobs are a bit more elegant. SVTF's can use any knob, but the set screw can mess up the threading, preventing use of threaded knobs from then on.

another thing about the svtf shift knob is the way the boot attaches. theres a ziptie in a stitched seam in the inside of the boot, holding it onto the knob very neatly. when replacing the knob, you have to find one with a little lip for the ziptie, otherwise your boot will not sit as neatly as it should.

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
those are sick knobs. would they fit other models by chance?

·
Registered
347 Posts
i personally like the feel and look of my stock knob due to the leather wrap on the side and being able to see which gear I'm in. sometimes it helps when i need a quick burst of speed from a down shift. wouldn't want to put it in 2nd from 5th. the rev limiter wouldn't like me to much after that. or visa versa going from 4th back into 2nd???? not so much.

·
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How long have you had the car? Hmm... I'd be more concerned about Valets or anyone else who would borrow your car...

I love the leather on the stock knob, too... but mine has seen better days. Anyone bought a new knob & looking to unload the stocker?

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
did you see the knob in the car with black/blue inserts? for having a company or the money to do these knobs, youd think the guy could find a better way of mounting a switch in his console rather than using black duct tape!

·
bow chicka wow wow
4,051 Posts
yea.. my shift knob doesnt have any markings on it.. so anytime i take it anywhere and someone else drives it i have to leave a sticky in the car.. hahaha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts