Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wait wait before you start telling me to do research on it let me tell you something. First of all I have no experience with sts for the focus since I drive an auto, but pretty soon I'll be doing a trany swap. Second, I'm pretty lazy and honestly I think the search feature on FF sucks, it searches word for word instead of full sentences. Anyways, as I said I'll be doing the transmission swap to a manual in a couple of weeks and wanted to hear the experiences with your sts for those who own one. I've read that the steeda is nice and that the CFM one is too short but I don't know. So in your experience which is the best sts in the market for the focus? and no, I won't be making my own.

Second thing, I will be installing (hopefully) an LSD along with a new final drive, so my question is.... does the final drive requires a break in period were I'll have to change the oil just after a few miles? or after the install I'm ready to go? I know that the clutch and LSD will require a "driving" break in period, but I'm not sure about the final drive.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
You lazy ass, lol.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but close:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159071

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153256

From the Engine and trans swap section, hint hint.

Far as the short throw, it's really a toss up. They really don't improve anything and are more of a novelty item. All the "smoother shifting" and what not people think it does is all in their head. If it where a rod shifted trans and not cable I could see a little gain. But come on, all you did is moved a pivot point down, that's it. same crappy shift cables, and with less leverage.
My vote it really just cut the stock down. There is no reason to buy some fancy name brand gizmo when you can do it yourself for about $5.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input John. I have already looked through both threads, actually that's were I got all the info and parts for the swap. The thing is that none of them actually installed a new final drive. I don't want to spend great $$$ on good oil and find out a couple miles later that I need to change the oil again and have to spend ridiculous money on oil changes. About the sts, I know they don't make much of a differnce in "performance" but I would like to knwo which is more confy and user friendly, I honestly won't chop mine, if I don't like the sts I can just go back to my regular one and if I chop mine and I don't like, I will have to spend more time and money looking for one in a junk yard or the dealer.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bump again

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
new bump

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vampire bump

·
Registered
359 Posts
Are you having the pros do the trans?

After doing the trans.. it be a good idea to flush after say 500miles or less. just to make sure no foreign objects where left after opening up the trans and doing an LSD ect..

there is no break in period about the lsd..

STS means crap.. any same year or number of years of focus uses the same shifter..

Go with the steeda

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^ Thanks for the info about the trans, that is what I'm planning to do anyways. And FYI lsds require a break in period. The clutch plates need to settle well before doing any hard cornering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts