Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1137 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Glad to see you are at least trying new things. I don't care for the wheels or headlight alterations, but if you hadn't tried it I wouldn't know that now would I?

The tail lights look interesting and I'd say with your budget you should have some cool stuff done after a while!

[thumb] Side Note-My buddy has a Black Ti hatch (wife's), and he's holding out for a Turbo Veloster...Thought you may get a kick out of that being in your signature!
When he could have a Focus ST? Some people... haha!

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Glad to see you are at least trying new things. I don't care for the wheels or headlight alterations, but if you hadn't tried it I wouldn't know that now would I?

The tail lights look interesting and I'd say with your budget you should have some cool stuff done after a while!

When he could have a Focus ST? Some people... haha!
I'm definitely curious as to what people will think of the designs when they move to a final install. It's very much a 'love it' or 'hate it' sort of deal. I'm realistic and know that not everyone will like the things I've done, but those of us who are car lovers will at least appreciate that I tried. [thumb]

I know, right? He's a really good friend, I just don't always understand him[facepalm]

·
Boob Whisperer
6,104 Posts
I couldn't tell exactly what was in your Avatar, but I figured if I threw out A&P that I would get something. Most ATP's appreciate those that try to do work by the book![thumb]

Most all in-channel visors require the removal of the felt for good adhesion. I would imagine that people not wanting to remove it may be what is causing the motor issues. One or two had motors fail, others seemed to complain that it was interfering with the auto up/down. Idk for sure.

[cheers]
Avatar is Randy Quaid from ID4, it's an old joke from a different forum.

I'll be looking at the return policy for whatever in-channel I decide to try.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hello Duane, a fellow NC Focus owner here. Am assuming maybe military A&P from your location? I have a nephew stationed at Bragg, Navy Corpsman, just back from Afghanistan.

I am afraid, like others, not liking those dipped wheels. I guess I am blind but I flat out missed/don't see the pinstripe!! Looking forward to future pics.

On the visors, I have some WeatherTech units on order that won't be in stock and shipped until the middle of the month. According to the online instructions, you don't have to remove any felt. If they don't fit, I will be returning them as I don't like the added wind noise but will try and live with it for a little ventilation in the summer. Good thing about in channel ones is that you can remove them with no marring of the vehicle. The Ford ones on my '02 Explorer are peeling away too but have been on for a long time so I can't complain. I'll let you know how I like the in channel ones. I wasn't too keen on their slow response to my e-mails about why they had not shipped several days after ordering and finally had to call them. Only then did I have a clue they were out of stock till mid June, this was mid May when they are telling me this!! It let me order online and everything looked good, still doesn't say "backorder", just "In Process".[:(] Not starting off on a good note in my opinion!

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yes, stuck here in Fayettenam. I did 8 years active duty in the Army and after getting out I went and tested for the civilian certication. I worked a couple of years around some school trained A&P mechanics to get a solid working knowledge. Then, unfortunately, I got sucked into the pay of governments contracting. As a mechanic, pay pretty much sucks everywhere else. Thanks to your nephew for his service!

In order to see the pinstripe, you have to click to see the 'full size' image, and it is on the chrome beltline. I've been trying to find a way to keep the chrome, but either I have to keep my wheels stock or pull my tint...sill trying to work through it. I have no imagination and can't just 'visualize' something, I have to actually see things.

I really want in-channel visors. The look grows on you really fast, and I hate opening the door to a face full of hot air. (Ford-why we no can window down with key fob?) I listen to my music loud, so the noise doesn't affect me, but I wanted people to be aware of the change because it really surprised me.

Good to Cyber-meet you!

·
Boob Whisperer
6,104 Posts
I really want in-channel visors. The look grows on you really fast, and I hate opening the door to a face full of hot air. (Ford-why we no can window down with key fob?) I listen to my music loud, so the noise doesn't affect me, but I wanted people to be aware of the change because it really surprised me.
I just ordered the EGR in channel from AutoAnything for $57.76 shipped. We'll see how they go.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I tried to play around with your picture with some simple color edits and the pic came out a little better, I don't know, it's alright. One of those things you have to see in person!! Just keep rocking it out haha [thumb]

dyn085's pic:

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Clear coat the black on the wheels to give it a gloss look and those wheels will look 500x better.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Clear coat the black on the wheels to give it a gloss look and those wheels will look 500x better.
I like this [thumb], it will go on the list to try.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
In the latest Ti news, today my MS3 mount arrived. After I quickly tossed some food down, I completed the install. I do have minor concern over using a non-shouldered bolt, but it could be nothing. I will check it in 500-1000 miles and report anything out of the norm.

That being said, don't think this is a worthless mod for DCT cars. The first drive was amazing! Very smooth, no vibration (even running 91 and stopped at lights), and the shifts felt much more firm. I was surprised out how much better the DCT did with the last update, and this only made that even better. For about $45, I would even recommend this for a DD that doesn't get a lot of spirited driving.

I'll post any significant changes as the mount breaks in.

I'm also going to attempt to get on my buddies dyno on Friday for a baseline. No guarantees, but if it doesn't happen by this weekend then it should most definitely happen by next weekend.[cheers]

·
Registered
832 Posts
Silver ring on the wheels, with maybe something silver done with the spokes. Lots of possibilities. Those wheels do need some contrast, however. Otherwise, nice job!

·
Registered
936 Posts
This and/or...

Silver ring on the wheels, with maybe something silver done with the spokes. Lots of possibilities. Those wheels do need some contrast, however. Otherwise, nice job!
.. this.

I have to look right at the wheels to tell the shape. A high gloss finish would help make them stand out, or some silver trim. Either way, they look small and cheap as is... so fix it up!

I don't do black wheels anymore because they just look like steelies to most people around here. Silver lets you see the shape and size of the wheel, even at night. White might even look good on the Sterling Grey.

Otherwise very nice car indeed!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like the black rims dyn085. I had a set of matte black Rota Slipstreams on my 2007 ST, and the gloss black Braid Winrace A's for my 2012, are do in today! Your Fofo's looking good, clean machine!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Hi dyn085 nice to see a fellow A&P on here. [thumb] I've only worked commercial but can appreciate the - if it ain't broke ill take it apart and make it better attitude- [:)] I like the direction the car is going.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Quick post, up 11 hp with K&N drop-in. One more run, and then drop in the Eibach's. Full update later.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ok, another quick update and pic (if I can get it on here). Wall of text:

Started the morning on the dyno, with my buddies Tuxedo Black Ti waiting patiently so that I could get a baseline with the stock filter. Did a quick pull so that he could get going and came up with 142 hp on the OEM filter. This was the uncorrected number, and unfortunately we had set the calibration incorrectly so the torque number was unusable. Unless you care to believe that I made over 240 ft lbs. Then, it was a bad-azz Ti.

I threw the OEM filter back in my buddies car so that he could get off to his son's baseball game. I threw my K&N filter back in, we re-calibrated the dyno, and made a few more pulls. The most usable number was 153 hp, 144 ft lbs. I will post the graph later, but that is throwing out the low (150 hp) and high (159 hp). These are all uncorrected, so subtract about 3 for the SAE numbers. He is going to email me the graphs later on tonight.

I will say right now that I won't argue anyone about the dyno. I have no reason to deceive you or lie as most of us will never meet. I don't want the internets fastest DCT, I want a fun DD. I will answer questions, though, but lets not argue. If you don't want to believe it, then don't.

Next, we threw in the springs. I think that the drop is perfect for me. Subtle, yes, but this is a DD and I don't need to put it on the ground. The ride feels very near stock, though I will say that it is a bit stiffer. Body roll is diminished, but this is a comparison to the Handling Package. It may settle a bit more over the next week, but I'm not expecting anything that would blow you away. I may try to post pics in a week. Here is pic(?)-

Wall of text over.[werd]

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Let me clarify something, as people are already trying to flame my information.

I gain nothing by lying to you. You don't have to believe me. This is all ok. Just consider that many things I've said in these forums has been initially discounted or flamed, to later be found to be true or near true. I've worked cars and aircraft for 15 years.

Most all of you will never meet me, and this is ok. I only pass on as factual information as I have, I'm not trying to win some internet award.

I am using V-Power premium (93 octane), a K&N drop-in, a snorkel delete ram-ish air mod (of my design), and I did a hard break-in with the car before 50 miles. Take the information or leave it, it's your call.

Maybe I can get my buddies Ti on the dyno next weekend, completely stock running regular unleaded. If I can talk him into it, I will post numbers here as well.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Interesting that you got those kinds of numbers. Can't wait to see the graphs. Did you delete the "air intake muffler" or are you talking about the piece that connects to the front of the car to the air box? I also believe the 91 or 93 Octane played a part in higher numbers, most of the other Dynos that have been posted on here have been using 87 or 89 Octane.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
if you see my post in the other thread, I got most of it answered here except for what dyno and version you're using. looking good though

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Interesting that you got those kinds of numbers. Can't wait to see the graphs. Did you delete the "air intake muffler" or are you talking about the piece that connects to the front of the car to the air box? I also believe the 91 or 93 Octane played a part in higher numbers, most of the other Dynos that have been posted on here have been using 87 or 89 Octane.
I only deleted the snorkel, then comed a piece of plastic in the bumper to push the rubber flap down (others have just cut it). This is my ram-ish mod. It will soon go to fiberglass to make a functional ram. The resonator is still installed.

I believe the 93 octane made a bunch of the numbers, but the OEM filter was run on the 93. I think that is how I got in the 140's, because the only other DCT numbers I can recall were high 130's.

21 - 40 of 1137 Posts