Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what the story on exhaust size really is--when it comes to PowerWorks, or even in general, is a 3" exhaust really necessary for F/I??? Would a 2.5" do just as well, and/or would a 2.25" work at all??? Thanks.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,097 Posts
When going FI Bigger is Better! The stock exhaust is 1 7/8 [thumb]

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now another quick question--do you think I could get any money at all for a Magnaflow catback with like 2-3k miles on it??? If I were looking to get a different exhaust...or should I just save money and keep my 2.25" on?

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,097 Posts
you could....I know a member that's thinkin of getting an exhaust.....Depends on the price!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*bump* again...sorry

good thing I named this "another quick exhaust question" haha 'cause I have another one...

Question that's been asked a zillion times and I think I know the answer but just want to be sure:
With the SVT header kit, I would still need a FLEX pipe??? (And a high-flow cat?)

Also I'll let you know about the exhaust...I paid about $450 for it so it would depend on the total for the new exhaust.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,097 Posts
You don't NEED a flex pipe, but a flexpipe is known to add a few HP with a full exhaust. I have the SVT Header, R/T Highflow Cat, Bosal Flex Pipe, and a 2.25 Resonated Magnaflow Exhaust [thumb]

·
Registered
369 Posts
it just becomes the bottleneck of the whole setup, you want the whole thing to flow freely.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, so...I guess I'm confused about the whole setup. I've never really looked down there so I don't know how it goes...what's the order? Let's say the order WITH a cat, since I will probably just be getting one of those...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty sure I know the order but I wanted to just make sure I did...is it header, flex, cat, catback?

Also will going from a 2.25" with no header/resonator to a 2.5" with a header but also a resonator increase volume a lot/much/at all? Lookin for the closest to a sleeper I can get...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to be annoying and keep bumping my thread but I just wanna know the answer to one of those questions (the other I'll figure out on my own)--

Will the 2.5" resonated w/ headers be much, if any louder than the 2.25" non-resonated w/o headers??? Anybody know? Thanks.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,097 Posts
yes it will be louder, but not ungodly loud.

It goes, Header, Cat, Flex, Cat-Back

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
HA just kidding...maybe I should just start another thread on this.

So tell me this: would these components work together???

SVT Header kit
R/T HF cat kit
TruBendz 2.5" flex
TruBendz 2.5" resonated Magnaflow catback

Also a while back I talked to a very knowledgable dude in Advanced Auto Parts about exhausts, and he said that with newer vehicles, in order to cut costs they have been using looser valve springs and relying on back pressure instead--so, he said, with a larger exhaust system and less back pressure, the valve life gets lower. Is this true?

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,097 Posts
Yes that would work together.....The SVT Header actually offers a 2.5' option. McNewsAutomotive.com sells the whole kit and you can even get your Header Jet Coated (no heatshield required) with differen't exhaust size options. Check them out [thumb]

Well your friend may think he's right, but Dyno's prove other wise. These cars love air in/air out.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,097 Posts
I've personally NEVER hear it, but maybe someone else will chime i with a more technical solution

·
SUPER FAST
1,656 Posts
i have a question about exhaust that might be kinda dumb but if i got a svt header and RT hi fow cat would i have to get a svt flexpipe and would i have to get a svt exhaust and replace my zetec borla...ive seen some of these products labeled diffrently so i was wondering

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,097 Posts
no you wouldn't if you bought the kit from someone say like McNewsautomotive.

The SVT Header Kit will mount to a regular Zetec flexpipe, you don't have to get an SVT Exhaust, but an aftermarket one would be better than the stock non-SVT exhaust. The SVT Exhaust you see on the web have a built in Resonator on them, that's why theres a price difference [thumb]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts