Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so obviously i have too much power.. i know this.. but i love this [clap] .. i have major issues hooking up my power..I can smoke the tires at 70mph all the way through 105mph just by dropping 3rd and rolling into the throttle... now what i want to find out is... is there a gear that will give me more mph per rpm on the focus mtx.. i already have the quaife, i have already rolled the fenders to get a wider tire under it i run a 200 compound tire... i can even start out in 2nd on my low boost setting and roll into the throttle and when boost gets going the tires just start smoking.. i would like the taller gear so i can cruise better and maybe go faster due to less shifts in the 1/4... because as of right now my car is pretty pointless in high boost at anything under 70mph...[:D] I have heard some guys talking about a 3.41 gear vs my 3.82 (i think thats wut it is) that would help but is it a straight swap can i just take my ring gear off and put that one in? is there a taller gear? like a 3.06 or something like that? for the mtx tranny?[dunno]

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
The 03-04 Duratecs came with a 3.41 gear in them. It should be a direct swap. How are you running 105mph in 3rd gear?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I share this problem as well. I would like to switch to a higher gear ratio for use at the drag strip.

So your saying the duratecs Had a 3.41 gear ratio and the whole transmission should be a direct swap or the gears in the transmission should be a direct swap? If it's the gears would it be a ring gear swap(unlikely) or both the ring and pinnion gear that would be swaped out?

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Thats an odd problem... As far as I know of none of the SVT guys have that issue.... maybe to the gearing differences in the tranny's....

now I can drop to third and the tires will chirp from 4.5 to 7k but they dont "smoke" and 4th is nothing but pure hookup.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
I wish i had so much power that i have to complain about it.[:D] hahah jk but how wide did you roll your fenders whats the fatest tire you can fit under there

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Thats just awesome. How many foci do you see on the interstate that when they accel they smoke the tires.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I thought the MTXs from the contours had something lower than 3.82s in there, just can't remember what it is. That's a pretty ridiculous amount of power, but what do you run at the track? [email protected]? lol

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
i kind of want to see a video of this bad boy

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
i have the same problem i can light them up at 70 to well over 100mph on high boost. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear all can be smoked off from a roll in... but my sti fixes my traction issues.

·
Registered
441 Posts
what is the SVT's gear ratios vs the MTX's both final drive and individual gears

This must be a MTX trans issue with three MTX cars all producing like power and all having the same issue

·
Registered
891 Posts
if you end up going with the duratec gears, make sure you have a good shop. my friend try to get some installed when he got the torsen put in and they broke some teeth on some of the gears. it was a repalible shop but how do u break teeth when the new tranny had no miles on it? i bought the car and some day ill change the gears.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
the easiest way would be just swap a 03-04 duratec trans in, take your zetec bellhousing and put it on that trans. make sure you check the preload on the two shafts and the diff.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
the easiest way would be just swap a 03-04 duratec trans in, take your zetec bellhousing and put it on that trans. make sure you check the preload on the two shafts and the diff.
Shift Cables?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
hm youre up in janesville i may even be able to come up and help out

the shift cable issue is not an issue, pocus if your car is 00-02.5 all you need to do is put the trans in neutral and then swap the shifter mechanisms.

then you will have a regular duratec trans to sell too.

but hopefully your car is 02.5+ then it will just be a simple swap of the bellhousings and !important! check of the preloads.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Well right now i'm still in the middle of my latest upgrade. Once this is all done and I take the car to the track a few times I'll worry about swapping out the trans some more. I just need to start looking at options. If everything goes as planed with these new upgrades I may be needing upgraded internals on the trans as well as a set of driveshaft shop axles.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh trust me im not complaning about the problem.. its a blast but it would be really nice to hook up all of 3rd gear and maybe some of 2nd on high boost.. and right now i have a 225 on it with an 18 in rim.. and i love my rim so im not changing the rims.. i want my cake and eat it to...lol... so can i just get the gear out of this other tranny can i put that gear on my quaife and put it back in?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts