Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I have had TONS of problems with my car since I bought it used in October.

I recently had my car at a reputable Focus shop near my school. They worked on the car for about a week and got it running much better. The car runs okay, no CEL. I drove it back to Virginia yesterday without any problems.

They mentioned that my car is night and day different than any other SVT Focus they have had in their shop. My car is extremely sluggish. He did some tuning on the car and the timing and AF ratio all seemed normal.

He mentioned there could be problems with the VCT?

Also, he said I might want to get a compression text done?

I am not sure if the person before me did any engine work or anything...

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I am not really sure how to diagnose the problem.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Check the compression of each cylinder. Have you ever looked at the DSI to see if that's causing any problems of it sticking? What about spark plugs or the ignition coil?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just found the write up on the DSI clip, I will check it out. What does DSI stand for?

I am putting new plugs and wires on the car this weekend.

Is there anyway to check the ignition coil?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Usually a code will be set if there's a problem with the VCT.

What sort of "tuning" did he do?
Do you have a Predator or SCT-XCal flasher unit that he loaded tunes to, then loaded on to the ECU?

You should also have him check the DSI, and see if it's switching properly.
When you first start the car, it should pull the lever, and switch from short to long runners.
Then, raise the rpm to 6,000 and see if it (the DSI lever) moves again to switch to the short runners.
Conversly, as soon as it drops below 6,000 rpm it should switch back again.
When the car is shut off, it switches again to the short runners.
^^^This is mainly to keep the manifold from sticking in one position.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1922194&#post1922194
NOTE:
The switchover rpm is 6,000 for 2002 and 2003 models (factory tune) and 5,000 for 2004 models.
Most (if not all) aftermarket tunes will have the switchover point set to 5,000.
I just used 6,000 above to alleviate any guesswork.

Here's another post and a pic to help you diagnose the DSI situation:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1922194&#post1922194

BTW, this should be in "Technical Chat",
but I'll leave it here for the time being till you figure out if it is the VCT or DSI which are SVT specific items.
^^^How's that for using acronyms in a sentence? [;)]

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car has been sluggish since I bought it.

He tuned the car with an X-Cal 3. He was having issues with the timing and the knock sensor. I believe he even called Tom up about it.

I believe I remember him saying he checked that it was switching from the short to long runners.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
Now wait , The had the car with not running good issues and are a "reputable focus shop" (who is it ?) and they didnt check the compression , VCT or the DSI to make sure there wasent issues before tuning it ? Sounds like you need to find another shop something sounds fishy

Compression test should of been done first , then the VCT checked

Tom

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would prefer to not name the shop.

I was happy with the service and both of the guys definitely knew what they were talking about. They have worked on a lot of Foci.

They were putting a new clutch in one while mine was in there. He said once they got the clutch in that my car was night and day sluggish compared to it...with similar mods.

I believe he did check out the DSI. I can ask about the VCT.

The car was not throwing any codes, he did say he thought it was sluggish. He said it could be because he has been used to driving FI foci and Mustangs. He then drove the other Focus today and gave me a call.

He tuned the car and said everything looked fine. I believe he mentioned calling you (Tom) about the car, and also the ethanol in the newer fuels and its effect on tuning.

I guess it will be another trip to a shop to get a compression test and VCT checked,

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I guess never mind about the "Technical Chat" statement...it seems to have been moved anyway since I last checked. [;)]

I don't remember...how many miles are on your car?
Have you had a chance to drive another SVTF to see the difference for yourself?

I'd put the factory tune back on the car, and see how that responds.
Though you do have faith in them, we don't know if you've got a good tune or not.
By reloading the factory tune, you're getting rid of one of the biggest variables.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess never mind about the "Technical Chat" statement...it seems to have been moved anyway since I last checked. [;)]

I don't remember...how many miles are on your car?
Have you had a chance to drive another SVTF to see the difference for yourself?

I'd put the factory tune back on the car, and see how that responds.
Though you do have faith in them, we don't know if you've got a good tune or not.
By reloading the factory tune, you're getting rid of one of the biggest variables.
There are a little over 52,000 miles on my car.
I myself, have not driven any other SVT Foci.

I can try that, however the car has been sluggish since I got it.

For instance, do these cars pull (at all) in 6th gear? My car barely pulls, at all. It is even hard to get up to speed to get on the interstate. I know these things are beasts or anything by anymean's...but...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts