Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been researching pinch weld floor jack adapters and have myself confused on exactly how they are suppose to work on my “16 Focus. That is, does the adapter lift the car exactly on the pinch weld or does it distribute the weight off the pinch weld and apply it to the surface around it?

The factory scissor jack looks like it takes the pressure off the pinch weld and applies it behind it.

But when looking at after market metal pinch weld adapters I see most are only .62” deep which puts the weight on the weld seem? Right? Some websites say a focus is suppose to be lifted right on the weld.

In the past with other cars I’ve just put a short 2” x 4” on my floor jack and lift on the pinch weld. Usually the wood split and it was very unsafe..

I’ve read on this website and internet all about the hockey pucks, wood block and rubber adapters solutions but I’m confused on where they are lifting the weight of the car.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
16,056 Posts
If you are lifting on the pinch weld it really doesn't matter, the smaller the contact area the more damage to the weld, the pinch area will just give in different places depending on the actual shape of the contact point.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I used the adapter from ZL1 addons for a couple years with no issues, but I never really liked it. I have since installed the Steeda jacking rails and can safely jack the car from any point on the rail.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I used the adapter from ZL1 addons for a couple years with no issues, but I never really liked it. I have since installed the Steeda jacking rails and can safely jack the car from any point on the rail.
Those work great^^^^^I used the Kenny Brown jacking rails w/ his Matrix brace. Easy enough to make a pr out of square tubing & weld it to the inside of the pinch welds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I was very interested in the ZL1 addons but the website said it has a depth of only .62", thus my confusion.

Thanks

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Yes, I was very interested in the ZL1 addons but the website said it has a depth of only .62", thus my confusion.

Thanks
Look at the height of your pinchweld....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Look at the height of your pinchweld....
1" deep on the backside (inside car part). The front (roadside) is rounded and I can't get a accurate measurement.

It's not that big of a deal. I'll just use a rubber pad or something. I've only had the car jacked up with the factory jack twice and in 3 years. I was checking my front brake pads last week and didn't trust that scissor jack. I had jack stands all over the car while working.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that it's easier for me to use the stock scissor jack instead of using a floor jack. Trying to find a piece of wood or a safe place to jack without bending something is too frustrating at times. I just put my electric impact wrench on the scissor jack nut and it lifts it within seconds and no effort needed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that it's easier for me to use the stock scissor jack instead of using a floor jack. Trying to find a piece of wood or a safe place to jack without bending something is too frustrating at times. I just put my electric impact wrench on the scissor jack nut and it lifts it within seconds and no effort needed.
Or there is this option...

https://imgur.com/gallery/Yvc3l

·
Registered
113 Posts
Or there is this option...

https://imgur.com/gallery/Yvc3l
I have done that as well. If I were doing something under the car or doing more than rotating tires I would use the hockey puck method

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
I tried the hockey puck idea and I think it has some shortcomings. If you have the pinch weld bear on the slot, it will likely crack and split. If you make the puck slot deeper than the pinch weld then the puck is bearing on the rocker panel sheet metal and that is not really what you want either.

I got this one and tested it out last evening for some brake work. Works really well. The magnets are a nice feature as you can just place it at the desired location and raise the floor jack up to engage it. It was $11.50 on Amazon.

JackPad.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts