Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still am wondering where some of the low MPG data is coming from.

this is with a hatch ...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Over how many miles did that average come from?

It's easy to manipulate the average by resetting it while driving 65mph with the cruise control on...

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seriously...there was no need to start a new thread about MPGs to post a picture that shows nothing. Also, BRB, going to take a pic to show off the amazing MPG I get when I reset it while coasting down a huge hill.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I filled up yesterday, reset the trip/fuel/time, hopped on the highway, then pretty much drafted a truck for 25 km at 100 km/h ... and my avg fuel was over 43 mpg! .. but yeah it means nothing in the long run since eventually I had to get off the highway and do some city driving to get home. I only calculate fuel mileage by the whole tank.

·
Registered
968 Posts
One time I filled up my Saab before jumping on the interstate and forgot to reset the mileage average until I was coasting down a long hill at 70mph. I was headed into Georgia (where it was a 55) and it took MILES before my average even dipped into the 50's

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got gas right off the turnpike and got on. Drove about 50 miles at 65 and MPG got up to 39.0. As soon as I got off and did some city driving came down to 36. Tank finished at 34. So, I think if you did an all highway trip you can hit 40 if keeping speed to 60-65.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Relying on the Trip computer for mpg is not realistic. It has issues as previously stated.

Fill your car up and let the pump click off on its own.
Set the trip odometer to 0. Drive until tank is almost empty. Refill at same gas
station with pump clicking off on its own again.

Divide miles driven by gallons of gas just purchased.

That is your MPG for that tank of gas. It will be different than what you see on your trip computer.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I use TRIP 1 to track my mileage every day. It's a mix of driving in NYC traffic and highways North of Manhattan.

I use TRIP 2 to track each tank of fuel.

I compare TRIP 2 to GAS CUBBY with each fill up.

My Focus, compared to the car I traded for it, "pays for itself" by the 11th of the month.

Not altogether bad . .

·
Registered
968 Posts
Relying on the Trip computer for mpg is not realistic. It has issues as previously stated.

Fill your car up and let the pump click off on its own.
Set the trip odometer to 0. Drive until tank is almost empty. Refill at same gas
station with pump clicking off on its own again.

Divide miles driven by gallons of gas just purchased.

That is your MPG for that tank of gas. It will be different than what you see on your trip computer.
I reset Trip 1 at every fill up, and so far the average on the trip computer has been reliably within 1/10 of an MPG from what I manually calculate.

It's when you reset your mileage average every time you go somewhere that your average (and your DTE) are going to be inaccurate.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
168 Posts
I reset Trip 1 at every fill up, and so far the average on the trip computer has been reliably within 1/10 of an MPG from what I manually calculate.

It's when you reset your mileage average every time you go somewhere that your average (and your DTE) are going to be inaccurate.

Posted via FF Mobile
That's what I'm seeing as well.

Frankly . . . as long as it reads anything above 12 miles per gallon . . I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
968 Posts
That's what I'm seeing as well.

Frankly . . . as long as it reads anything above 12 miles per gallon . . I'm a happy camper.
my old V8 E.B. Explorer AWD read less than 12mpg so often I wondered why they even bothered having the display.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
366 Posts
My FORD computed numbers have consistenty been off by 10%.

Focus said 31, manual calculation said 28.5.

My Mustang always says my average is 18 to 19, but it's actually 16.

·
Registered
968 Posts
My FORD computed numbers have consistenty been off by 10%.

Focus said 31, manual calculation said 28.5.

My Mustang always says my average is 18 to 19, but it's actually 16.
Do you reset the average only when gassing up?

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
132 Posts
My Ford numbers have been actually consistently lower.

Last tank 32.8 MPG, calculated 34.1 MPG. About 300 mi of 70% highway 30% city driving.

I was able to pull off a 41.3 MPG on a 6 mile trek in the suburbs averaging 35-40 MPH. So this number doesn't surprise me. And for those of you still doubting 40+ MPG, although I only averaged 39.9 MPG on a trek within Chicago (40 mi @ 60-65 MPH), my MPG meter was still rising, it only decreased as I raised my speed to 70 MPH.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts