1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

2 different vehicles at question.

1ST- 2005 ford focus zx5 SES 2.0LTR duratec, 5spd. 135,000KMS mine
2ND- 2007 ford focus zx4 SE 2.0LTR duratec, auto. 180,000KMS brothers.

2ND car has experienced high idle, with code P0507. PCV was inspected and checked, looks ok. Replaced IACV, cleared code, disconnected battery for 10 mins, pump brakes to drain any current left, ran it in idle, turning on all accessories and all seemed fine.

Fast forward 2 weeks (today),check engine light is back on, high idle symptoms are back, stated by brother. i didnt notice it when i started it and ran it. Code is back.

One difference i did notice was the noise from under the hood, a louder tapping noise, that was worse on decelleration from revving. I inspected both mine and his vehicle at the same time watching the intale runnner shaft.

1ST car, the intake runner shaft would not move unless i really snapped the the throttle on it, im assuming it opens up in the higher RPM range from what i breifly read. Somewhere in the 4700 range.

2ND car, as soon as i TOUCHED the throttle i can see the IMRC shaft open?

Both vehicles when off, the shaft is upwards, once the car is started the shafts are downwards, when the shaft moves while vehicle is on, its moving from downwards to upwards.

my question is why would it be opening so early? Loud tapping is a indication of bad/broken IMRC, that i know. Almost a valve tap noise. But what would cause it to open so early?

Could that be why his idle is erratic on the higher side of the RPM'S would it throw a p0507 if IN-OP? He said he had lots of trouble keeping it stopped at red lights because the high idle is that bad.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'll move this to General Tech Chat for more looks as it's more of a repair question.

Had to look a bit for P0507, "Idle Air Control system, RPM higher than expected" was what I found.

IMRC opening right away on the second one isn't right, haven't guessed a cause yet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll move this to General Tech Chat for more looks as it's more of a repair question.

Had to look a bit for P0507, "Idle Air Control system, RPM higher than expected" was what I found.
Thanks, sailor.

Thats what i came up with as well, my scanner gave me a few different possibilities for the code, 1- idle air control valve= replaced. 2-vaccuum leak=none. 3-PCV= ball moves, functions properly 4- emissions leak or something close to that nature.

The plunger/shaft shouldnt be opening like that.. i know the one on my focus is working correctly, i know his isnt. Plus the noise, im 99% sure is coming from the intake.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
To start w/ I'd replace the i/m on both cars + the pcv hose since you'll have the i/m off.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To start w/ I'd replace the i/m on both cars + the pcv hose since you'll have the i/m off.

Why would you replace both IM? The 05 is operating correctly, its the 07 thats acting up. I have seen your thread about the IM from a escape, if the 07's IM get replaced, i will be keeping the old one and removing the tumble flaps and installing it on mine. both PVC hoses and PVC's are fine. Both PVC hoses are intact and not cracking or split the PVC ball moves and functions as it should. You cant blow into it, bit air can be sucked out of them.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Why would you replace both IM? The 05 is operating correctly, its the 07 thats acting up. I have seen your thread about the IM from a escape, if the 07's IM get replaced, i will be keeping the old one and removing the tumble flaps and installing it on mine. both PVC hoses and PVC's are fine. Both PVC hoses are intact and not cracking or split the PVC ball moves and functions as it should. You cant blow into it, bit air can be sucked out of them.
Just going by the mileage you have. Most issues w/ the imrc flaps are mileage related.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts