Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! im new to the FF forums and i have another question that deals with intake manifolds for the focus. I know there are mixed opinions about it, but I really like the weapon - r intake manifold because of the longer runners design as opposed to the cossie manifold with its short runners. I also understand that the weapon - r IM is for use with drive by wire throttle bodies. Is there anyway to make it work with my 04 D23?? Thanks!

·
Registered
582 Posts
i am right there with you man, if i knew i could get the weapon r to work on my car, id buy it tomorrow. the big concerns are- 1. does the tb with a cables mounting holes line up with the dbw tb, would it mount right or would holes need drilled, etc. 2. theres no iac mount with dbw intakes/tbs. can you tune this out with a custom tune and run the idle with the stop screw with no adverse affects on your car?
these are the things i could come up with to look into

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, my main concern is that there is no IAC valve mount. I've read mixed things on not having the IAC valve too. I'm not too concerned about making a few modifications to it but there's no way i'm spending the money until I know beforehand.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I did the knock off IM. Makes good power for the price. Do loose some tq. I have a 2.0 in a 05. I posted up before and after dynos of the car. Hopeful it help you out. If you have any question about the ebay IM just ask.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which knockoff IM did you try? The godspeed one that looks like the cossie? I'm curious to know what kind of numbers it can give but then again, because it is like the cossie, the runners are short.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yea the godspeed IM. It gave me 14whp and lost 16wtq. I will ahve to look at my dyno sheet to confirm. I posted the dyno sheet of before and after the IM. Its in the ebay knockoff IM sticky. IF you get any brnad of IM yoou will lose low and mid tq. It moved my peak hp you 1k RPM. you can see the tq lost, but i have more tq in the higher RMPs that i will be using when i race. That the reason i got a IM.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The lose of torque is expected though because both of those designs have short runners; good for peak horsepower but bad for torque unless F/I or highly built NA. It's more frustrating than anything because there's not a single IM for the 2.3 duratec that has a long runner design and is reasonably priced.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Well ive read the 2.3 already has good torque thats why the cossie and the godspeed are better suited for it. The 2.0 doesnt have very good torque so i wouldnt want to loose any just to gain a little in the upper power band which i dont use that much anyway.

Now the 2.3 has 2 stages in its stock manifold if im understanding it right. During lower power band the intake opens these flaps that let the runners become the max length and when the rpms get up in the higher RPMs the flaps close off and then it becomes a short runner intake. Working like both a long runner intake and a short runner. IMO a really cool design. Its like the best of both worlds in one intake.

So you guys are wanting to add a $469. intake without a tune first?

You should look in the mazda 3 forums. The mazda 3 has the 2.0 duratec and the mazda 6 has the 2.3 i think alot of those guys have already been using all the weapon R intakes.

It does look sweet, i will say that.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Well ive read the 2.3 already has good torque thats why the cossie and the godspeed are better suited for it. The 2.0 doesnt have very good torque so i wouldnt want to loose any just to gain a little in the upper power band which i dont use that much anyway.

Now the 2.3 has 2 stages in its stock manifold if im understanding it right. During lower power band the intake opens these flaps that let the runners become the max length and when the rpms get up in the higher RPMs the flaps close off and then it becomes a short runner intake. Working like both a long runner intake and a short runner. IMO a really cool design. Its like the best of both worlds in one intake.

So you guys are wanting to add a $469. intake without a tune first?

You should look in the mazda 3 forums. The mazda 3 has the 2.0 duratec and the mazda 6 has the 2.3 i think alot of those guys have already been using all the weapon R intakes.

It does look sweet, i will say that.
That i/m looks awesome. But like you said Ronnie, the 23 i/m works great & is seamless. Can't feel it switch runners at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is it just me, or does the Weapon R mani look like it will fit the D20 with no modification? Unlike the Cossie and it's off-brand counterparts.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Is it just me, or does the Weapon R mani look like it will fit the D20 with no modification? Unlike the Cossie and it's off-brand counterparts.
It'll bolt right on to your 20 motor. Of course you'll need a tune as Ronnie mentioned. I'd rather bolt on a 23 head w/ the 23 i/m.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts