Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got it done today ... springs, SVT damper kit, and anti-roll bar kit all through Mike. I picked everything up locally from the Ford Motorsports Distribution Center in Livonia. Probably 'cause my car is an '03 and has seen too much Michigan weather, I absolutely could not do this myself (though I've done a supercharger, headers, lower kit, etc, etc to my other car), and I had to have a good local shop do the install, and even they had a devil of a time especially with the front anti-roll bar. Took two guys 4-1/2 solid hours to git 'r done. Finally, when they had finished, the one guy took it for a quick spin to confirm its road worthiness, and pronounced it "quite firm" and chuckled. I paid the bill [rant] and walked out to the parked car full of anticipation.

Firm? Yes. Too firm? No way! This is the way the car should have come off the assembly line in the first place! NOW, I can feel the road!

And cornering? Oh, yeah, baby! Flat ... REALLY flat! Just like my first wife! Coming into our neighborhood from the two-lane, 45 MPH road, I found out that the limiting factor now is definitely my new all season tires. They slide ... quite predictably, I might add. [:D] Haven't driven enough yet, but still seems to be moderate understeer, but don't quote me on that quite yet.

The drop? Just as advertised: 1.5 inches. Looks good with my new 17" wheels. The only problem now is our neighborhood doesn't get plowed sometimes for several days in the winter. Last year, there was at least one snowfall where I was dragging the bottom on the snow surface at the stock height. Thank goodness for having a manual trans with front-wheel drive. It should be interesting this year being a little closer to the ground.

Would I do it again? Hmm-m ... this turned out to be several times more expensive than I had expected it to be. If my wife doesn't see the credit card bill, then the answer will be, "Yes," otherwise ... well ... let's not go there.

Quality stuff, I might add. Had the install gone better, I'd consider this a resounding success. As it is, the car handles great especially now that my wallet is so much lighter.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to upload some pics once before and can't seem to do it. I've got pics of all the kits in boxes, out of boxes, exploded view of front struts before assembly, and on and on.

Let me try photobucket.com.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
"This is the way the car should have come off the assembly line in the first place!"

I love mods that make me think that, grats!

·
Registered
936 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Where'd you get it installed at?

I'm looking to have this done in the Spring and am weary of local shops not doing a good job.

Also if you don't mind, what'd the cost to install run you?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where'd you get it installed at?

I'm looking to have this done in the Spring and am weary of local shops not doing a good job.

Also if you don't mind, what'd the cost to install run you?
Harold's Frame Shop on Grand River between Taft and Novi Rd in Novi. The two guys who actually did the job were Scott and Dale. Harold's really knows their stuff (they've been recommended to me personally twice now by two other shops here in South Lyon in the past), and they're one of the few shops who'll actually install lowering kits. I found out that other shops don't want the liability.

The install was $706.xx. This should be qualified by two differences, however. Since I screwed up the left rear lower control arm, they had to put in a new one at a material cost of $72 (I believe). Also, I had just recently installed Dynamat in the back and had the the top of the rear dampers exposed for them, so it may have saved them around 20-30 minutes of messin' with that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
921 Posts
I got a coilover kit installed with ride height adjustment, corner weighting, and an autocross alignment for $450.

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
glad you like it but good lord how did it end up being so much money? lol

·
Stock
5,040 Posts
Lemme know how you do in the winter with that drop. Ive been wanting to drop further than my svt suspension but im leary of snow.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
o dont worry i paid 600 just for my shocks an sturts, 115 for my springs, 300 for the sways, an probley another 300 in aligment peace's but it handle's like a dream.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
wow!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
o dont worry i paid 600 just for my shocks an sturts, 115 for my springs, 300 for the sways, an probley another 300 in aligment peace's but it handle's like a dream.
Thanks ...

... for holding the lemon juice.

Actually, I don't understand paying only $650 for the hardware AND the install. Of course, I didn't have to wear a sandwich sign for two weeks at the corner, either. [histerical]

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
I really want to drop my car in the spring because my rear springs are sagging and making the tires wear more on the inside. I thought of going the FRPP route from Mike at Hilbish since it's cheaper than the Eibach pro kit, and lowers it the same amount. I have the same problem as you though (Michigan car) and I DEFINATELY can't afford that amount to have it installed for me.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I am getting the FRPP shock and strut kit which I need cause I have Eibach springs, but there is no way I am going to pay someone to do it. WAY too much money. I will do it myself. From what I have heard, it isn't too bad.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts