Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alright well i have posted questions about this issue, front right hand suspension BANG!!!, and have had alot of responses such as try prying the sway bar with a huge pry-bar, or loosen the bushings and lube em up maybe they are sticking, and i have had few other suggestions. i have narrowed it down to the fact that sway bar link bolts are hitting the frame of the car when the sway bar activates on the right hand side. My question now is, is there a possibility that the subframe isnt aligned right wich caused the sway bar to not align right. when i take everything off and activate the sway bar by hand, on the driver side i have about 2 inches+/- of clearance between the body and sway bar but in the right side it is hitting dead on. BTW you cant pry the sway bar at all because it has a stopper on the bar that disables movement from side to side.

i really hope someone can give me some direction with this issue, hopefully there is a ford tech somewhere on here with some first hand insight, or even a well informed DIYer. [bawling]

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha well at least i kno im not alone in this problem. but im still looking for some solutions or suggestions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same problem on my SVT. I just loosened the bushings and slide the sway bar over. Perhaps your sway bar was designed differently.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i dunno how the SVT sway bar is designed but i have stoppers that disable any lateral movement and they are positioned in a way that i cannot slide the sway bar at all.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
is it an aftermarket bar with no locating grooves in it like the stock one had?

When I installed my 22mm front sway, I used hose clamps on the outside of the bushings/brackets that hold it in to keep it from sliding. before that itd shift over and whack the body/subframe. are you sure the stoppers are on tight enough? id realign the bar and tighten them as far as theyll go just to be sure

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no the stoppers are like a welded part of the bar, saleen used racecraft, and racecraft is basically the same as eibach...... same designs for alot of their stuff on the focus. Honestly Pm me and we can meet up you live like 2 minutes from me ill let you drive it or come for a ride and ill show ya.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the Eibach 25mm kit front & rear. It has the stops on the outside edges (wheel) side of the insert. I had this same problem & was pretty pissed for having to fix something that was brand new. I added a 1/8" shim to the bottom of my urethane inserts. This allowed the clamp to fully seat the bushing and solved the problem. I have a call into Eibach now will post more when I hear back.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry for the delay. Talked with Dave (Tech Rep) at Eibach today. Turns out they had a bad batch of bushings come in from their vendor (the ID for the bar was too large) and they had pulled all of their stock but they were not able to get the stock back from all of their dealers. So if you call them and talk with Dave in Tech support he will get you the correct bushings for free. However, you must have your receipt or proof of purchase for them to make good on this though. I had to fax them my receipt. I should have my bushings in 3-5 days. Once I get them I will post my results here. Hopefully this will fix the issue w/o having to shim the bushings. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My sway bar has shifted twice on me like that and it is currently clunking again. I never noticed that there were any stops located on the sway bar itself to align anything so I just tried to align it so that the end links looked to be at the same angle on both sides of the car. It seemed to work the first time but not the second time. I guess I am going to slide further towards the passenger side of the car.

Does this only seem to happen to people who track day/autocross their cars?

·
Registered
133 Posts
No, my factory sway was fine. It wasn't until I installed the Eibach front sway that I had this problem. The Eibach bar has the stops on the outside of each of the front bushings. When the bar slides it forces the bushings out of the mounts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have factory SVT sways and the front shifts on me. After the first time I decided to install Energy suspension sway bar bushings and control arm bushings and Moog end links. I figured that might help but they still moved after my next track day.. What a crappy design. It clunks even though the sway bar is visibly centered with the end links in the exact same position on the left and right side.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The sway bar is made to slide some and should re-align itself. The eibach is a race version and is not supposed to shift at all, there by stiffening the suspension and reducing roll. If you want less movement, try shimming the bushings w/ 1/16" aluminum shims. If it persists bump up to 1/8" shims. This will cause more bite on the bar from the bushings and allow for less travel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do not think Eibach's new bushings will do much good since I just had another set installed...fixed one side but not the other and these are the second set from them to fix the issue. Just made some shims today while at work after reading this post to try if needed. I really do not want to pay to have this sway removed to reinstall the OEM pieces again. Oh..talked to Dave myself today and they are sending me yet another pair of bushings,,,yipppee!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I hear ya. I could push my sway bar back and forth by hand w/ the bushings that came w/ my front bar. They would literally just come right out of the mounts. So I shimmed them to cause more crush on the bushings. I used some spare 1/8" aluminum plate I had in the garage. Wroked really well, no shifting at all. I checked on the bushings b/c Eibach needs to make good on these. Even if they need to send out 1000 new bushings.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts