Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm learning more and more this motor and I found out or trying to verify that the 2.3 has two cats on it. One on one by the header and then there is another one after the flex that has two hangers mounted to it on either side. My question is because I have been trying to get some deeper tone out of my car an I have done the lunch box delete and added a Magnaflow muffler. Are there 02 sensors mounted on the forward cat or the cat that has the hangers on either side. The other question is would it really a difference to delete that second cat and if I do it should not hurt the readings off the 02 sensor because it reads before and right after the first cat to make mixture adjustments correct. Please bear with me I am new to all this car stuff besides changing the oil growing up lol. I am in the mechanics program at my local college but we have not touched thus stuff yet.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Second cat is unmetered, there are no sensors to it. I deleted mine (the FSWerks exhaust has a resonator in its place) with no ill effect; CEL doesn't come on, and the car passed emissions tests with flying colors two times after the install.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would I need the resonator with the Magnaflow muffler in there or would it still give it more tone taking the second cat put.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Second cat is unmetered, there are no sensors to it. I deleted mine (the FSWerks exhaust has a resonator in its place) with no ill effect; CEL doesn't come on, and the car passed emissions tests with flying colors two times after the install.
This^^^^^^^^
Yes. 2 cats. First one is called a mani-cat because it is an exhaust manifold & it is also a cat. You have three 02 sensors on your PZEV, all three are mounted on the mani-cat. The second cat can be replaced with a resonator if you wanted to.
This^^^^^^^^^^
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-674-70...&qid=1408902824&sr=8-1&keywords=dorman+674702

Edit: Whoops, did not see Roland had replied before me.
Would I need the resonator with the Magnaflow muffler in there or would it still give it more tone taking the second cat put.
No you you don't need a resonator. Yea it'll change your exhaust tone when you remove the converter.
Or would it make a difference if I moved the muffler back to where the second cat is taken out.
I'd just leave it where its at.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Ok I will give that a try
How 'bout ordering a fwerks stealth system? It'll match your needs= 2.5'' mandrel bent, stealth muffler & it'll have a deeper tone. Just install & enjoy. +I'd add a fwerks header to the order too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have the money to do that yet. I have four kids and go to school full time lol I gotta make do with what's cheap right now

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I don't have the money to do that yet. I have four kids and go to school full time lol I gotta make do with what's cheap right now
Yea, IK how that goes as far as the kids. School I don't.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So as of tonight the exhaust will have to second cat removed and there will be nothing from the down pipe to the Magnaflow where the stock muffler was an then again nothing after the muffler. Hope it sounds better then it did lol

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
So as of tonight the exhaust will have to second cat removed and there will be nothing from the down pipe to the Magnaflow where the stock muffler was an then again nothing after the muffler. Hope it sounds better then it did lol
The next really low budget mod would be a bsd plug. A plug, sealant, 6qtr of oil/filter & a few saturday morning hrs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to say Felix I am not to impressed with the sound from it just sitting there. But I have not gotten it out on the road yet. I'm saving money for a full system that I can bolt on lol.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I have to say Felix I am not to impressed with the sound from it just sitting there. But I have not gotten it out on the road yet. I'm saving money for a full system that I can bolt on lol.
Thats the best way to go. Go for the Fwerks stealth system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts