Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 2.0L 145hp 5-speed eclipse challenged my 2.0L 146hp automatic in a half mile drag, we matched for a little less than a quarter mile and no suprise to me the focus did work and took off like a bat out of hell, we took it with a big gap and he said he was pushing it. JUST LETTIN YALL KNOW AUTOMATICS CAN STILL DO WORK!

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
You and I can go at it legally on the strip if you want... we will see how much you like your auto then...lol BTW, watch it, people don't like street racing here and you might get flamed....

·
Registered
199 Posts
When not racing automatics seem much faster to me. This is because I would never take my 5 speed anywhere near the red line (not that there is a red line on my tack) but in an auto any time you put your foot down the rpm's shoot to that "red line" as fast as they can.

For example, I have never shifted from 5'th to 3'rd on the highway to pass someone. This is pretty much what you are doing in an auto when you put your foot down at 55 mph to pass and I've done that plenty of times.

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
^This is why you should never race for real.

·
Registered
199 Posts
^This is why you should never race for real.
Huh?? Are you saying that because I don't treat my daily driver like a race car it means I shouldn't race?

Just seems to me like you are being quick to judge. I drive a stock 2.0 duratec. That is why I should never race! lol

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
I'm just messing with ya, bro! I'm really just a huge dork, thats all...lol

·
Registered
426 Posts
ATX Represent!

We roll deep.

And don't hate on Autos, we're all family here. Plus, Auto's still bring the fight.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
When not racing automatics seem much faster to me. This is because I would never take my 5 speed anywhere near the red line (not that there is a red line on my tack) but in an auto any time you put your foot down the rpm's shoot to that "red line" as fast as they can.

For example, I have never shifted from 5'th to 3'rd on the highway to pass someone. This is pretty much what you are doing in an auto when you put your foot down at 55 mph to pass and I've done that plenty of times.
this post is so wrong, im not even gonna start
[giggle]

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I don't mean that I actually think that the auto is faster, I just mean that it's way easier to downshift and bring the rpm's to max when all you have to do is move your foot down.
Sure buddy, but the power output is much lower then in manual gear box.
And don't be afraid to bring Zetec up to 5800RPM.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
Sure buddy, but the power output is much lower then in manual gear box.
And don't be afraid to bring Zetec up to 5800RPM.
You might gain more power out of the manual but it's more of a toss up. The time it take's you to shift from 2nd to 3rd an 4th to 5th the auto is already in the next gear an is in the power band.

If I had to pick a manual or auto with the same power at the wheels to drag with i would pick the auto.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I shift faster than an auto. Below lets say....500 HP the manual gearbox will be quicker. Above, you MUST have an auto to reach full potential.

/thread

·
Left Lane Warrior
3,946 Posts
When you're on windy roads or a road course... or autox, that's where manual is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
manuals= cheaper to buy, cheaper to replace, better milage, more power
but when its rush hour, automatics win
any other time i prefer 3 pedals

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
Ya but like i said if you had a manual an a auto with the same power an tq at the wheels, an took it down the drag track the auto will win............why do you guys think Tom used automatics when he went drag racing? I dont care what anyone says a manual will not shift faster than an auto.

Plain an simple.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I dont care what anyone says a manual will not shift faster than an auto.

Plain an simple.
I drove an RX-7 once with what I was told was a race built tranny. It had a nice short throw and you could fling through the gears like nothing. you pretty much didn't need to ease up off the gas to shift. While I agree that with a stock focus 5 spd it's hard to outshift an auto, I have driven manuals that could easily outshift an auto.

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
I agree that an auto is going to shift faster, but I perfer that it shifts when I want it to, not the ECU.

·
Registered
773 Posts
lol manuels FTW autos are only cool if you talk on the phone while you drive lol.

You have more potential in a manuel car =)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts