Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sleeping this morning 8:30am, I hear my alarm go off, I'm thinking as usual some ass on a motorcycle went by. Usually it stops fast, but this time it keeps going, I get my keys turn it off, put something on and run outside. And what do you know...some kid crashed in my car on his bike lol. Good thing he was with his dad! I got their info and all.

I don't want to give my car to the body shop for whole week.
I'm thinking to just paint the scratch over and get some money off the guy.
Or should I go full blown body shop and make them repaint whole panel and buff scratch on the trunk lid?
I will of course go to the best and most expensive shop that will do the job right.
Probably will be at least $1000 with body shop + rental car and such.

Here is the damage:

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Make them pay to get it fixed professionally. You shouldn't have to live w/ a dent like that.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
this happened to my dad. he woke up and went outside to find the whole driver side of the car scratched. the whole size.. from bumper to the side mirror. they even knocked his side mirror right off and cracked the glass. a neighbor saw the biker do it, but he just got up and took off. we still havent had any idea who the guy was, but my dad had to pay the money to get it fixed..

·
Fist Pumpin' Champ
2,891 Posts
you gotta be pretty bad at life if you can manage to run your bike into a parked car.
x2!!!! and i know im awesome now... i am in ur sig!!! I win

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
make that little punk pay for what he did. its not your fault. get it taken care of.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
damn, now it looks worse and worse. When I just woke up and run outside it didn't look so bad, but now it looks horrible. I will deffenetly visit couple body shops tomorrow. I just hate giving my car to them for such a long time.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
Thats actually a pretty easy and inexpensive fix.
Pull the dent, little filler to get it all smooth, and then paint that area, then buff to blend. Thats pretty much all they will do. probably over simplified some, but thats the basic jist.
a good shop would have it back to you that day

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
Pull the dent, little filler to get it all smooth, and then paint that area, then buff to blend. Thats pretty much all they will do. probably over simplified some, but thats the basic jist.
That's what I was thinking and I don't think it will be close to a grand to fx.

And accidents happen. Think if that happened to you, would you expect to pay a grand to fix that dent?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope so, that is what I was thinking it would take to have it fixed, but then I'm afraid they might say they want to paint that whole panel.
Then it would be around a grand and 2-3 days.

That's what I was thinking and I don't think it will be close to a grand to fx.

And accidents happen. Think if that happened to you, would you expect to pay a grand to fix that dent?
Exactly, that is why I feel bad for the guy. It's not even his fault. His stupid son couldn't control the bike.

But then what about me, I can't live with that dent too and time spent to find where to fix it, time fixing it, the moral damage he caused, sleepless nights...lol
I have a list of highly rated local body shops. Tomorrow will see what they say.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Like goinloco said its not a hard fix, I would be tempted to try and fix it myself, then charge the guy for materials and 20 bucks an hour, then you dont loose the car, and you dont make him pay out the nose for the repair, and you make a little bit of money for your troubles, which is reasonable. The shop will charge 60 to 70 bucks an hour for labor with thier overhead so it seems pretty reasonable to me.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
from past experiences, i think you should just get it done right the first time...pluse it will look better anyways if you get it done right

get the person who did it to pay for everything, you shouldn't have to pay a dime for it

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
id look for a paintless dent removal service in your area, maybe they can work it out from behind.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its a really easy fix, its just a little dent. I do believe you should have the guy pay, but over a grand?? I gotta feel bad for the guy, he has a dumb kid that is probably never gonna be allowed to ride that bike again, but you shouldnt try to run up the bill by having a "reputable" shop rip you off.

Go to a few different shops and find one where the people seem down to earth, and they give you a realistic quote with no more than 2 hours of labor and a low price. You could watch them the whole time and be back on the road good as new that same day.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok I've been to 5 different shops and quotes were from 850 to 1500!

No matter how you do it, just paint the area or whole thing it comes out to $900.

I went to painless, but they said since there is a scratch they wont do it.

I just got duct tape and a screw driver and was able to almost correct the dent. Put some touch up paint and you can barely notice it from up close.

Settled on some $$$ from the guy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
there you go, free repair and some money for mods for the hassle. Now if the kid does it again then i wouldnt even feel bad about having the father get you a turbo to make up ;)

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
My buddy ran into a Mercedes at a light one time on his road bike...lol. The owner was understanding but he still had to buy a new tail light which wasn't exactly cheap. Hope you get it fixed soon [thumb]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts