Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 SVT with 60,000 miles. I have a Screamin Demon ignition kit AEM intake and Borla exhaust plus a few other non electrical parts.

My car currently does not run. My problem started with crazy symbols on the LED display on my head unit.This is the second stock 6 CD changer that has gone out on me. Next thing I knew something started draining my Optima battery overnight. Now I have to pop the hood and take off the battery cables every time I park the thing.

Does anyone have a clue what would cause this and the right way to fix my problem. Or should I drive it into a deep lake?

·
Registered
240 Posts
it might be your ignition staying on??or you could have open circuit that it wont shut off when you turn off your car idk im just trowing some ideas out there maybe someone else would chime in a lil and help.also check the pigtail that connects to the alternator see if no cables came out or just loose if thats the problem replace it man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My brother is a stereo nut and he threw his 2 cents out there. He thinks that it may be a short in the factory stereo system. He thinks it could be a short between the Sub,amp or head unit.

Could this be the problem? I suck at electronics.

Also does anyone know why it would take my car forever to warm up when I first start it? I didnt know if things like a cold air intake and upgraded ignition system would do this.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
What do you consider forever to warm up? And it may take a bit if you're up north in colder weather. I let mine sit for up to 5 minutes if its really cold. As for your stereo problem, take it to a audio shop.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here is a trick to help find out what is drawing on the battery. Take a regular 12 volt test light. Dissconnect the negative terminal and use the testlight to bridge the gap. In other words, take the clip and clip it to the battery cable then take the point and make it stay on the negative post of the batery. This might take a little patience to make it stay rite. Now, if you got it on there rite the light will be lit.
Now, take the key out of the ignition and turn the dome light off. you want to turn off everything that will be off when the car is sitting. Once you have everything settled stsrt pulling fuses one at a time. When you pull a fuse watc the testlight. When you get the circuit that is drawing power the light will dim or go out. Keep in mind that the light will probably never go out all the way since there are several electonic modules that have keep alive circuits. If you have a short that draws your battery overnight you will probably be able to find it htis way.
Ken

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
To quote a Guinness Commercial.. "Brilliant!"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im talking 20min when its 95 in Aug. My buddy who works on the Skylines at Nissan said he thinks its my thermostat stuck in the open position. Guess Ill be pulling that this week to check it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a shop by my house that is gonna scan the system for draws. Im gonna have to pay $50 for this service. Probibly better to let them so I dont screw up the car even more.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I found a shop by my house that is gonna scan the system for draws. Im gonna have to pay $50 for this service. Probibly better to let them so I dont screw up the car even more.
Most likely they are only gonna do something like what I described above. Give it a shot. It will be very hard to damage anything with my test. Who knows, you may even find the circuit that is causing the draw and be able to figure it out. Even if you cant find anything you are only out a little bit of time.
Good Luck
Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts