Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put an OBX 4-2-1 header on one week ago, and have since put about 1,000 miles on the car (I had to go to Michigan all last week for work.) Today I was pulling out of a parking lot and the CEL came on, I took it to Autozone and had them read the code; P1406. Their definition was "Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Position Sensor Performance." I looked the code up online and its giving me either "DPFE Sensor Downstream Hose OFF or Plugged" or "DPF EGR Sensor Downstream Hose Off or Plugged."

Naturally, since I put the header on the dealer isn't going to cover this under warranty, and I'm not really interested in putting the stock header and cat back on just to get it fixed. Any ideas what this could be? I know the DPFE is supposed to be a problem on the Zetec...if so, what do I need to fix it?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
check the hoses first (two vacuum looking hoses that go to the DPFE sensor), just pull them off one at a time and look thru them to make sure you don't have carbon blockage, or holes.

If every thing looks ok, then it's probably the DPFE sensor or the egr valve, those are both prone to failure.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The DPFE is the black box to the right of the TB with the hoses running in and two sensor harnesses, correct?

And the EGR valve...is that the big round fitting (?) that's between the tube and the intake manifold? Seems like if either of them are shot it should be an easy fix...

-edit-

Well I pulled the black box and the cylinder (?) beneath it off and checked them and all the hoses...couldn't find anything blatantly wrong. There was some water in both of the hoses running into the box, but that's normal considering water is a byproduct of burning hydrocarbons.

I've got the negative battery terminal off right now and I'm hoping it was just a fluke and it will go away. Have to see what happens when I put the battery back on.

-edit (again)-

Well put the terminal back on and no CEL after 20 miles. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
code po1406 won't set until a certain drive cycle has been completed. drive the car for a few days.

yeah, the water is a pain, it 'scales' up the inside of the DPFE which causes it to 'stick'

If you were to watch the DPFE voltage with a scan tool monitoring the data stream. You could tap the case on a scaled one, and it would change its voltage, essentially 'sticking' at another position

if your hoses were ok, its most likely the sensor, but I'd wait to condemn it til the cel comes back on again.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,097 Posts
Any luck Geo?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm up to about 70 miles since I reset the ECU and still no CEL. If it pops back up I'll have to locate a dealer in Holland, Michigan because that's were I'm headed tomorrow. I'm going to assume they keep DPFE sensors in stock...seems like its a part that gets routinely replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts