Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why isn’t ford recalling Idler pulley bolt that keeps breaking

Go to carcomplaints dot com.
Find the article about bmw idler pulley bolt breaking and what the NHTSA is doing.
Maybe we should all start contacting the NHTSA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Perfect fix! Same problem. Terrible design by Ford. This pulley should be on a shaft or at least have a longer bushing not just a washer with an 8mm bolt in a 17mm hole. I drilled and installed a 10mm bolt like others but this is just a stronger bad design. After downloading pulley specs I came up with a pulley from a GM 6.6 duratec engine. Duralast part no. 231165. The pulley is the same diameter at 76mm but the center bearing hole is 10.6mm so it fits perfect on the bolt with very little play. The center bushing is built into the pulley and you're bolting direct with no added spacer or washer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello - for those of you who still have a 2.3 Duratec engine or a similar engine, maybe this will solve or resolve the problem on pulleys bolt from breaking. I do not have a Focus or a Fusion but own a 2008 2.3l Escape. I believe the culprit is the Power Steering. Upon START UP of engine, all the components that are connected to the serpentine belt (such A/C, power steering, water pump, alternator, pulleys, etc) brings STRESS to the pulley's bolt. This usually happen upon Start Up of the engine after it has been turned off. To solve this problem, NEVER start your engine with your HAND resting on the Steering Wheel. I am referring to the LEFT HAND and right RIGHT HAND is on the ignition switch So, HANDs OFF the Steering Wheel upon Start Up of your engine. Best Wishes!

101 - 104 of 104 Posts