Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My right rear wheel bearing went bad on a 2007 Focus S sedan(~150k) with just about 20000 miles since replacement. Changed it first over the course of normal maintenance of the brakes, that one didn't go bad(oem part), however the brake drum was damaged from rubbing and when the e-brake cable broke loose and locked up the parking brake(inherited this problem when I bought it used) The replacement was an ac delco drum with bearing included. Have a big torque wrench and have had a Contour and an older focus prior to this 2007 so the procedure isn't new to me. Got new tires and an alignment with it as part of an overhaul of the car prior to my entry in law school (where I am now and have no time to jack around as a result). Pulled the tire and measured the hub with a micrometer just in case it was squared off but from a few measuring points it was within spec(unless its super microscopically off).

Theory 1: Ac Delco bearing is junk and once it got some more heat on it with the summer it cooked itself.
Theory 2: Ac Delco bearing is fine in itself and hub is squared off allowing it to rattle around and eventually cook itself.
Theory 3: Ac Delco bearing is junk and the hub is squared off causing to cook itself faster.

So my question is this, in order to minimize my time efforts I am reaching out to the experts out there.

Quickest: Solution 1: Replace drum with different brand with bearing already pressed in.
Second Quickest: Solution 2: Take ac delco drum down to a shop to have some timkens pressed in.
Third Quickest: Solution 3: Replace hub and take ac delco drum to a shop to have timkens pressed in.

What would you recommend?[dunno]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'll vote for #2.

Throw in Timkens and leave it at that since you didn't see any hub damage.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Make sure you don't forget the seal that presses in behind the bearing. Without it the bearing won't last long.

Reactions: Joe Mason

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Timken and SKF are the way to go and if the axle nut is not torqued to 173ft.lbs., you will be replacing it again and again.........

·
Registered
367 Posts
Timken and SKF are the way to go and if the axle nut is not torqued to 173ft.lbs., you will be replacing it again and again.........
When my car still had drums on the back, I always just gunned it on and never had a problem. What makes them go is not having the seal.

Don't forget the seal.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If the drum is good I say replace the bearing. Unless its cheaper and quicker to just but a whole new drum asm.

I had one go bad after getting it all torqued and having to take it off again. Re-torqued (a bit tighter) but still lost the bearing in about a month (about 100 mile tow from the house).

I say replace the hub bolt at the same time.

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
Impact 'gunning' is simply a stupid way to install bearings............ There is just no nice way to put it. Bearing suppliers would say the same................and then sell you more parts.

Some confuse luck with skill, the danger there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Make sure you don't forget the seal that presses in behind the bearing. Without it the bearing won't last long.
Yes always replace the seal like mailman said.Do they come packed with lube or should they be packed by mechanic??? I'm very outdated. 👀🌅🌅🌅🙏🙏🙏🇺🇸

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
Cartridge type wheel bearing now that is preloaded with lube, (you hope, I've seen new one bone dry before). You can't take them apart to grease like old school ones.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cartridge type wheel bearing now that is preloaded with lube, (you hope, I've seen new one bone dry before). You can't take them apart to grease like old school ones.
Thanks so much for updating me amc49. 😀🌅🌅🌅🙏🙏🙏

1 - 12 of 12 Posts