Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new here but have been following the forum for a while. recently bought another focus, its a 2001 SE wagon Zetec 16v DOHC ATX trans. Car had been sitting 8 months due to bad cv shaft and motor mount plus owner bought new car. Got it home and replaced cv/motor mounts, got it running and started driving it around. Transmission is acting really funny, with this common problem of slipping and such. I have already replaced the fluid and filter and the Solenoid "A"(single white wire). Here is exactly what it does:

1. Reverse Works Perfect
2. Going into any drive gear from Park or Rev AT IDLE, Engine ildes up a lot, can hear the trans spin and wind up for ~3secs, then catches and slams into gear.
3. Does exactly like #2 except not at idle and park. When driving and coming to a stop around 10mph it slips out of gear, winds ups, then re-engages back into gear(dangerous, have to keep foot good on brake to keep from rear ending ppl)
4. When driving at UNDER ~50mph, hit a hill or try to pass, it will downshift into 2nd and hesitates a second and engages really hard(jerks car). I do not hear the any winding up type noises
5. Same as #4 but OVER ~58-60mph, when trying to pass easy or hit very slight hill, car doesnt really downshift fully. i think its like a passing gear for slight load but it works fine. problem is when passing hard or tall hill with good load on ATX it will pass the gear i just mentioned and downshift fully into i believe 3rd and will engage very hard jerking the car.
6. Also sounds like when driving thru 1st gear there is a whine until 2nd, its very light and hard to be sure

As i said, i replaced the solenoid "A", trans fluid(old was slightly burnt but probably original fluid, not bad and no metal on magnet)+ 12oz of Lucus Trans additive, trans filter, and fluid level is perfect, and NO CEL light or codes. car has 124k miles.

Should i replace more solenoids?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was just told by a mechanic that solenoid "A" controls more of overdrive and Solenoid "B" controls more lower gear stuff. so do i need to replace "B"? if so, which one is it? im guessing the only other one that looks like "A"?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Solenoid B is the one that looks exactly like Solenoid A. It is the purple wire, IIRC. Exact same part #. Comes out the same way, too.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Possible. It is either that or something much more expensive.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have noticed that with my 07 atx that when it goes to shift it will slip out and then back into another gear which causes and extremely annoying squeaking noise and the whole car shakes real bad up front. I think my problem is bad mounts causing the engine and tranny to bind up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts