Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been browsing many Focus boards and I haven't seen an answer to my exact problem yet. So I figured I'd give it a shot.

I have a 2005 ZX4 with 88,800 miles on it. The airbag light has come on and stayed on. Truth be told it's been on for a year or two now and I finally got sick of it. It just stays on, no blink or anything.

I took it to the dealer and it came up with code B2232 Air Bag Circuit Open - Loop #2, Front Driver side. I have never been in an accident. Air bag hasn't been deployed. The only thing I've done, and where it started happening, is I would drum on my steering wheel with my knuckles along to a song.

Dealer says the whole SRS is bad. I don't really believe that. Anyone have this same issue? How can I fix it and what in the world exactly does that code definition mean? I've read about clocksprings being the issue.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Dealers LOVE to replace whole units. Easy, make a lot of money.
You have like ONE loose wire in the system.
Finding it though, may be hard to do. And if some dolt goes poking around in the airbag system, BOOM! your airbag goes off. The dealer is NOT going to do that. (then they have to give you a new one free...)
So if it was me, i would just forget about the stupid light......
If you MUST persist..
IF you found a junkyard steering wheel.. and swapped...??
And yeah, it is most likely some wire from the steering column to the wheel...

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
The only thing I've done, and where it started happening, is I would drum on my steering wheel with my knuckles along to a song.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

ok, seriously, that didn't do it. You can bang on the steering wheel all you want and the only thing that's going to happen is the horn might go off.

I believe you're right about your problem being the clock-spring. We have a How-To on replacing the clock spring, but I must warn you as Elizabeth did- you have to be careful of the air bag. Just some attention to detail and safety consideration and you will be fine. First rule: remove negative battery terminal before working on the electrical. Make sure it can't make contact inadvertently. When you remove the air bag module, be careful to ground yourself somewhere to release any static that might have built up while you were wiggling around on the seat working on the steering column. Remember to ground yourself later before re-installing the air bag module.

I'm off to go find that clock-spring How-To. If there's not a link here under this, then search our Complete How-To archive from the link in my signature.

Ah ha---- I had to use the Search function. Apparently this was never added to the How-To archive. Here's to infinite text storage [cheers]

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99259&highlight=clock+spring

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
It's really not that bad. Everything comes out in once piece, and static discharge is a one in a million uh-oh. It can be avoided simply by making sure you release the charge. If you don't go running your fingers across the electrical pins- you could hold a static charge and not do anything. As long as the battery is disconnected, there are no other worries about the air bag module. Those things do travel across the country on trucks in packaging.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts