Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When ever i start the car or let it idle or im driving i keep getting a tick every once in a while i dont know where its coming from or what it is. im getting so annoyed i almost went and dropped it at the dealer tonight but i have to work 30 miles away tomorrow so it sucks i hope nothing breaks

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know about the fuel injectors but this is just something that happends every once ina w hile its not constant like when i open my hood and hear the damn injectors going. thanks though

·
2,272 Posts
I get it too sometimes. Its a constant ticking that sounds like the fuel injectors but sometimes you can hear it louder. it usually only lasts for a minute or two and doesn't happen much. Actually I had this problem before I did all my engine mods (intake, exhaust, tune, TB) and the problem went away. Well I recently returned my engine to stock and now I can hear the ticking again.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys saved me a trip to bass

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my ac is off but than again sometimes the defroster is on and i know that runs the compresser might be the neons who knows. as long as my car is going to make it to work i dont care :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
The tech's at my dealership tell me that it's the compressor and that it'll do it when the a/c isn't on to avoid it freezing up and becoming a nightmare.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Tick is the AC clutch. I was told the AC clutch engages and disengages with most settings of the cooling/heating system. Doesnt make a sound when it is all completely off tho

·
Registered
60 Posts
alistar said:
... Doesnt make a sound when it is all completely off tho
All I know is that the Ford Technician told me it will occasionally make the sound when the a/c is off to prevent the system from freezing up.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Teck said:
The neons were famous for it. Its just piston slap. Like wickedgrey said though, its really of no harm.
[???:)]

piston slap and ticking valves are completly different things.

the reason you hear the valves is becuase the 20w oil, while it lubricates better than 30w, is very light, and there for doesn't insulate noise as well, and everytime the camshaft hits a valve spring, you can hear it.

personally i like it becuase then you can tell if something broke [lol:)]

·
Registered
281 Posts
i thought that tick is the intake manifold if you look stright down from the throttle u can see this thing move every time it ticks

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
it actually does sound like its coming from the intake manifold , if you put your ear next to it while you hear the ticking

·
Registered
60 Posts
Postmanbob said:
i thought that tick is the intake manifold if you look stright down from the throttle u can see this thing move every time it ticks
Not a bad theory, although the fact that Ford tech's have told for than 1 person it's the a/c compressor leads me to believe it's the a/c compressor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts