Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have read the a few threads about similar problems that i am having with my 01 focus... but some things don't line up. The engine will sputter at a constant speed in lower rpm's, if i put it to the woods at low rpm's the engine wants to die almost like its getting fuel cut.... , and also 5th gear has no guts... i will lose speed going up a hill in it so i have to down shift into 4th... i was getting a CEL for a while but that is now gone... and i hooked a an a/f gauge to see if that was the problem and it is givin me a super lean reading... my current mods are borla cat back, focus sport headers, short ram intake... NGK iridium plugs and screamin deamon plugs and wires....

I am goin to do a reset today and check the dealership about the fuel pump recall and get that changed with a new fuel filter... i plan on checkin the pvc pipe to see if it collapsed but the car only has 25k on it .... i am gonna clean the MAF too.... but i was also wondering if i just need a tune....

HELP PLEASE

·
Registered
324 Posts
prolly a vacuum leak or something.. but yea clean the MAF.. but usually if its a vac leak, you'd be lean even at idle.. and consequently have quite a rough idle.. but id say pull the code from the ECU.. then we can decide whether its ignition or fuel related..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Make sure it did not jump time. I dont know how many miles you have on the car or if the timing belt was ever changed but if she jumped time your gonna get those kinda problems.
Ken

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Yes, any Motorcraft or Autolite (basically same plug).

Odd thing is neither of our plugs are on the NGK site --> http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder/car_truck_suv/results.asp (not sure if that will work, look by application otherwise)

All in all I have scoured the NGK book and all the plugs that could fit are too short.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well... i will have them removed and replaced with motorcraft plugs... and i am gonna run sea foam through the car tomorrow just in case it my injectors... and i reset the computer and clean the MAF already so i will fire it up first thing in the morning to see if that has changed anything oh and the magic collapsing vacuum line is still good ..... keep the information coming in the meantime

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, any Motorcraft or Autolite (basically same plug).

Odd thing is neither of our plugs are on the NGK site --> http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder/car_truck_suv/results.asp (not sure if that will work, look by application otherwise)

All in all I have scoured the NGK book and all the plugs that could fit are too short.
Hmmm i did some more reading around the site... and it looks like those NGKs TR55-1IK are used by SPIers so maybe the guy hooked me up with wrong set.... so very possible that the plugs are a big part of my problem!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i just put in the new motorcraft platinum plugs and took it out for a trip around the block... and its seems to be running much much better ..... i didnt seem boggy and it wasnt sputtering and the idle.... wow is that much better... but i am still getting a really lean a/f...... so any explanation for that would be welcomed!!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
It will probably take a drive cycle or two for the maps to repair themselves. Give it a few miles and see if it gets better.
BTW how lean is lean?

·
Registered
872 Posts
If you've done all the other recommended basic troubleshooting, and if you've got that improvement by simply changing spark plugs, then it sure sounds like you've got a basic ignition system (a weak spark) issue causing your misfireing. But "much better" doesn't sound like you've totally solved the problem. If you've still got any "missing" then that could be why you are still seeing the lean A/F.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
still lean..

well its been through a full tank of gas now and the guage is still reading lean, but i am confused as to why.... Maybe the gauge was drop somewhere along the way... or maybe it is still the car... i cant really get on the gas with the current winter conditions so i dont know if it still cuts out when i drop the clutch and put it to the woods... but dont know where to look next if the problem still exists

·
Registered
324 Posts
alrighty, well after reading everything, i think its time you datalog it! xD
we need some sensor readings man.. id want the mass airflow readings, STFT and LTFT and pre-cat O2 sensor voltages and rate of switching.. then we can decide whats causing your lean condition init

·
Registered
538 Posts
DPFE updated ?
I know my car ran like super ass when my dpfe was bad. No CEL either.
Bad fuel mileage, car would buck a little when trying to maintain constant throttle
in first or 5th.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts