Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it seems that there is a clunk in the front-end. it has been there for about the time ive owned the car. it only clunks little bit when you drive over big enough bumps. it is a small one but annoying. also it feels as if there is a small pop in the steering, like as you steer the wheel it kind of stick alittle then feel fine every now and again. pretty much with the clunk. i just brought it to the dealership two days ago for inspection hopeing that, due to this getting worse. it would fail, and they would find something. it passed. the mechanic looks at me, and asks " you do most of the work on this yourself right?" i said yeah. he says it looks pretty tight and solid. i asked him about it. and he said he drove the car and didnt find anything? said my car was one of the nicest 2001's he had seen come in for inspection! but my wheel bearing were on there way. could this cause anything as described?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
clunking over bumps = swaybar endlinks

·
Registered
288 Posts
clunking over bumps = swaybar endlinks
+1

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know those are notorious for going on the focus, but they were done back in Feb... it sounds more like its coming from the driver side than passenger.

·
Registered
26 Posts
check if front swaybar is centered. mine is not and the end link hits the fenderwell on bumps /dips and makes a clunk( passenger side). this has hapened to others posted on this forum. I had mine to 3 different mechanics and none of them noticed it. I also looked and did not notice.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats a good idea. ill check into that. my car goes in next week for the wheel bearing to be replaced due to me not having a press. and ill make note of that, is there any other suggestions or thoughts to the wheel bearings having an affect to this or the steering?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
The endlinks may just need to be tightened, they must be tightened when the suspension is compressed (so not when the car is in the air, unless you jack up the control arm under the balljoint))

·
Registered
602 Posts
Also have the front end to body bolts chkd for torque , sometime thats the problem when nothing else found, and yes it will make the noise you describe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts