Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past summer I bought a 2013, a by owner sale, knew it had some problems. Namely, the "clutch" in the so-called automatic was acting crappy (like I now know they all do). It had some pretty bad shudder and the shifting was sloppy and stupid, and was occasionally getting that really nasty grinding noise while going uphill.

I took it in to have the clutch pack changed out. Ford technician seemed pretty competent and experienced in the area and was willing to admit that they were a common problem area. He later informed me much to my surprise, that someone had been into the clutch pack previously. They had reassembled it incorrectly, causing a nut (or something similar) to come loose and get lodged in the housing and grinding on it, that they had used the wrong formula of oil, that it was leaking from the seals, etc. From his perspective he didn't think it would pose much of a problem moving forward after the repair, but just wanted me to know of this.

Everything is fine now as far as the trans performance, no shudder, shifting is on time. However I did immediately notice a new problem, and it has gotten a bit worse since the day I picked up my car. A chattering noise that seems to be coming from the general trans area, possibly. Never heard this sound prior to the repair.

It's not the dash panel, and I'm pretty confident it's not any interior part of the car being vibrated. The sound is nearly constant, if you are driving or idling, the noise is there but you can hear it a lot more when idling. It occasionally stops suddenly. Then will start again a few seconds later, independent of what you are doing. AC or no AC, heat or no heat. I will also occasionally hear what sounds like the gear shift trying to engage (what I call the oxygen tank sound) while I'm idling with foot on the brake, which makes no sense. I don't know if that is at all related to the chattering. I mostly just hate the chattering. I went ahead and recorded a sound file of the chattering noise for you to listen to, so I could get some opinions here.

In this clip, you hear the chattering and I search across the dash, gets louder in the passenger floor board. Then, you hear it suddenly stop at 27 seconds in, then starts again. Then I get out of the car, and listen from outside where you can't really hear it at all (there is some wind noise sorry). Then I get back in the car, and you can hear it again.

click to listen to the chattering sound

What do you think?

·
Registered
354 Posts
That would drive me crazy too. I would have to guess an engine or transmission mount. If you have access to a automotive stethoscope try, carefully, fishing around the engine bay. Sounds can echo and travel only to be heard in the wrong spot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts