Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
So today I had to take off my reverse light to get at a bulb and disconnect the outlet because it was faulty. So I turned the engine to on, put it in reverse And turned the lights on to test them. After getting everything back together, i asked my boyfriend to open the trunk using the remote but it wouldn’t open. There wasnt power going to the car. At first turning the engine on showed a the battery on the cluster, then we shut the engine off and cluster started licking and wouldn’t stop until he disconnected the battery. He hooked it up again And it showed the battery on the cluster. The headlights were also faintly flashing and the cluster was clicking. All of this happened with the car off.We figured the charge was low So he tried to jump my battery, a few seconds later it started smoking so he pulled it all off real quick. Ive noticed the anittheft will flash very fast to sometimes. Also for a few seconds after reconnecting the batterHas anybody ever had this happen or know what can cause this? Does this sound like the battery is bad or something?
Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Completely wrong place to post this, as you're new I understand though. You'll probably get moved by a mod eventually.

Sounds to me like you killed your battery. If you run a lead-acid battery flat, especially an old one, eventually the chemicals inside will not accept any further charge applied from outside, which is probably why you received such a nasty reaction to the jump start attempt. Get a new batt and that should solve your problem. I would also triple-check any/all electrical work you performed to make sure there isn't a short somewhere, even though this would simply blow fuses before it caused your battery to smoke up. But there could be something causing battery drain.

Edit – as for all the error lights going crazy, that's what happens when your battery dies and the computer doesn't have enough current to run correctly. Again, new battery.

Ben

1 - 2 of 2 Posts