Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stock single cd/mp3 player in my focus. I went on iTunes and got the directions on how to download in MP3 format and end up downloading 55 songs at .99 each. I figure it'll be great not to hassle with changing cd's all the time. Well, when I went to burn the cd it won't let me. I can only burn it in audio or data format. Car mp3 player won't play data format and with audio, I'm back to changing cd's. Sooooo, I email for refund and get the standard "all sales final" crap reply. What's the point in being able to download in mp3 format if you can't burn a cd in mp3... [?|]

·
Registered
56 Posts
the mans always keepin us down

You'd think people would correlate on things like that. That's how Microsoft makes a lot of money. Here windows....here a fix..for 99$ Etc. How did ou find out that it's won't play data CD's??

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
you're MP3 player won't play data files? is the CD finalized (sp?)? as long as it's finalized or the session is closed, it should play them as data files.

·
Registered
525 Posts
sounds like you need better software...i have nero, and can make mp3 discs...I made my brother 11 discs with a total of 1,774 songs on them...so i think you should upgrade your cd burning software...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, I'm not real bright when it come to computers but here's what I have. cd's are cdr with 80min/700mb...I downloaded songs in mp3 format and burned them in data format. when it said done burning I took it out. should I have done something else?

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
mp3=data
Burn a data cd with all your mp3's and take it to your car.
If that doesn't work, then when you make mp3's to audio on the cd, then the burn session only allows the cd audio time of 74min/650 or 80min/700.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
microtonal said:
mp3=data
Burn a data cd with all your mp3's and take it to your car.
that's what I thought I did..I'll try it again...got lots of cd's (they were buy 1 get 1 free) and at .99 X 55 songs I'm willing to try most anything...thanks

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
ILLINI zx3 said:
sounds like you need better software...i have nero, and can make mp3 discs...I made my brother 11 discs with a total of 1,774 songs on them...so i think you should upgrade your cd burning software...
It isnt his burning software. It's the DRM attached to each file he downloaded. Does Nero remove DRM from .mp3s ? ?

What you need to do to remove the DRM from the iTunes you downloaded: 1) Burn the .mp3's to an audio disc. 2) Import the songs back into iTunes or use any other "ripping" software to rip the songs back to .mp3. Voila. .mp3's without the DRM. Now you can burn your .mp3s to a data CD and it should work in your car. I know its complicated but the DRM was the only way Apple or any other stores were allowed to offer music for legal download.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I've found that Musicmatch Jukebox works really well as a ripper/player/recorder. it allows for mp3 burns as data files and everything.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
focuson03 said:
I've found that Musicmatch Jukebox works really well as a ripper/player/recorder. it allows for mp3 burns as data files and everything.
Yes. If you want to pay the extra $20 to burn at full speed. Plus you still have DRM to think about.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
that is a good point, but I got the software for $8 (employee discount) the DRM was fairly easy to turn off too. . .

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
You dont just turn off the DRM. It is in the file. Unless you burn it to audio CD form then re-rip it to .mp3, you still have the DRM in the file.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I use music match to rip all my cds to mp3's on my pc. Then just burn the mp3's as a data cd. I use nero to do my burning, and MM just to rip. I do have an upgrade key if anyone needs one for MMJB -it should work on sep pc's.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hey:
IN my experience dealing with MP3, most of the people here in the forum have given you a good place to start as to why the MP3 disc failed.
a)Could be the burning software. (I used music match,nero,discjuggler, all worked great)However The one I use is roxio Adaptec cd recorder with a 99.5 ratio of working.
b)The file extensions that i tunes add to their compressed file (Mp3) its a little different than a regular downloadable MP3.It probably will prevent you from being able to burn it into a disc as an Mp3.The sugestion the other member gave you to chnage the extension on the files,although, time consuming, Might just might work, but I am not sure.
c)ON the software you have to burn I am sure it most have a feature to turn your own cds into mp3.Use that feature with a couple of the cds you may own and then burn it.Make sure you close the session!!.
d)Be aware that there are different kind of mp3's.Variable bit rate encoding on mp3 can very often create all sorts of issues.Also, be mindfull on how many folders you create within the mp3 cd.
Hope this info may help you.
[:)]

·
Registered
875 Posts
It's probably the way the MP3s encoded from the iTunes music store are encoded. I've successfully used iTunes 4.2 to burn data and MP3 format cds for the car.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
It's the DRM on the .mp3s You can burn copyrighted .mp3s to a data CD but they most likey will not play. I have not personally purchased any music online but I am sure this is the purpose of the DRM'd .mp3s It isnt an iTunes issue its the fact the .mp3s have the DRM on them. You can burn a data .mp3 CD with iTunes just fine. But you need to make sure you remove the DRM using the procedure I outlined in a previous post.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yeah, ignore my last post. At the time of that post I was clearly too tired to comprehend Digital Rights Management.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the info..I will get my 13yoa daughter to translate it for me [hihi]
I still say iTunes should have made it clear it was restricted from being burned in
MP3 format before I spent $55. on songs....well, gotta get busy writing that complaint letter
to try to get some of my money back. [read] wish me luck guys..I have a feeling I'm gonna need it

·
Registered
525 Posts
yeah thats a load of crap...you could steal music for free, and it would play just fine in your mp3 player...or do it the right way and pay for it, only to not have it work...rediculous...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts