Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive been swayed from a motor swap ive been shown how to do a rwd conversion and keep the zetec im getting a turbo or supercharger much later on but for right now i want nitrous to tide me over till i get all my bits together for the rwd. i know very little about it because ive never used it. i know it makes a good motor go pop if it isnt done right and i know the stock zetec in a zx3 cant handle much more than a 35 shot without leaning out because of that stock fuel system no return bull s[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]. what i cant get around are what the best brands are, how to overcome the returnless fuel system, how to not blow my motor, and how long would i have before my motor goes anyway? i know nitrous stricken motors dont last forever so how long does the average motor last on say a 50 or 75 shot.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
from what i understand you can run a 50 shot pretty reliably and i dont even think it requires a tune....

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
I am running a 65 shot reliably. Dont know who you were getting your info from, but they dont know anything about nitrous. As long as its tuned right, you willl be perfectly safe.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Here you go
Click Me
50 shot will be fine on the stock motor.
Most everyone will tell you to get a wet kit. They supply there own addition of fuel instead a relying on the car to do it. Nitrous Express(NX), NOS, Zex, they're all preety good. Make sure you get all the safety feautures and don't cut corners.
Window Switch-Only allows you to use nitrous during an RPM window, so as not to use it in the low RPM's and so it isn't spraying if you hit your rev limiter.
Fuel Pressure Cut Off Switch-Fuel Pressure drops to low and it'll cut off the spray
WOT Switch-Only allows you to spray at Wide Open Throttle
There are more advanced safety feautures if you want to be extra careful.
Just check out that link. Viney helped me out a bunch.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
compucar nitrous in a bag. dry nitrous so you dont explode your intake manifold after the fuel and nitrous puddle up in it. and dont believe that bs about the returnless fuel system. i ran a 50hp nitrous express incogneto dry shot on my 2000 for several months with no probs. all my friends run dry kits on their vehicles with no probs. friend of mine has a 2001 silverado with a 175hp dry shot and a returnless fuel system and he has put over 200 bottles thru his 5.3L. another friend runs a nitrous express halo dry kit on his trans am with a returnless fuel system. as long as you dont go overboard on the nitrous or freeze the mafs you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
YOU NEED TO TUNE!
no you dont. ive seen cars run better with a 50hp shot and a stock tune than a 50hp shot with a tune. even if you do tune youll only need to pull a degree of timing. any more gas than that and you do need to tune. but not with a 50hp shot or less. the stock fuel system and internals can handle it fine.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/0308mm_focusweb/index.html

NX Marketing Manager Randell Mathis and I struck up a conversation and he recommended we install its NX Stage 1 kit onto our Infra-Red five-door. The Stage 1 kit works with the factory fuel system and computer and does not require a timing retard feature to be used. This cut down the cost and sophistication factor for sure, as well as simplifying the installation process.

this car went from a 17.00 at 79 on motor to a 14.92 at 89 with a 75hp shot and a stock tune.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
I can garantee that 95% of the people on here with nitrous say that in order to do it SAFELY, he needs a tune. Also, a wet kit is SAFER to use.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'll be in that 5%. And just like with everything else. Tons of people will tell you to get Dry and vice versa. Your going to have to decide what you think is best.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I can garantee that 95% of the people on here with nitrous say that in order to do it SAFELY, he needs a tune. Also, a wet kit is SAFER to use.
and i can gaurantee that out of the 95% here that do run nitrous only about 10% of those are as intelligent when it comes to nitrous as the people at nitrous express and muscle mustangs and fast fords. if that. also out of that 95% about 90% will say it just because they heard it from someone else that said it and not because they know from personal experience, like i do.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
I wash my hands of this conversation. I will not get stuck in the middle of a pissing match.

Focusmaniac, your on your own.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol moonpie funny. i gotcha. WET KIT WET KIT WET KIT!!! i have several friends with bad experiences on dry. i have an idea. you know the little windsheild washer fluid reservoir in the driverside front panel? what if i took that out, cleaned it out several times really well and converted it into a fuel tank for say alcohol or race gas or something like that got fuel lines and a little 60gal per hour fuel pump to go with it and ran it in on a toggle switch with the wet kit just to bypass the stock fuel system? i wouldnt have to use the washerfluid tank but im just saying that because its already there, its hidden, and i dont use it anyway. and we are off topic a little. what are the best brands to choose from? and does any1 have any tips on installation if i dont go with the little alternate fuel system on a switch? where do i run the freakin lines? i never found anywhere to link the dam kit in when i was looking the other day. and NO MORE PISSING MATCHES PLEASE! im going wet FINAL

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm no expert, but I believe the gas would eat through that plastic. I'm not sure though. Then I was about to put you could probably build something and as I was typing it, it hit me. If you put a fuel tank there and you get in an accident. I can just picture it getting a lot worse, real fast. Race gas getting sprayed all over your car and over your hot engine. I'm going to have to say, pass. Any brand is good. NX, NOS, Zex w/e. What exactly do you want to know about installation, I'm not about to type it all up on here.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
where are you supposed to splice the nitrous line into the fuel?

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
normally to get the fuel for a wet kit you tap into a test port on the fuel rail (i believe the Zetec's have one) then you run that to a fuel solenoid, then that to the nozzle. and the nozzle also connects to the nitrous solenoid which connects to the nitrous bottle....

i think you get the idea.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bah got the kit and WOT switch. its NOS. cant find that test port. where is that sucka? pictures any1? i swear i cant be that retarded but ive been digging for 2 hours. i just fixed a powerwire from my battery to the starter that shorted out and while im at it im putting in NOS. think a 75 is too much? stock internals just some bolt ons and a tune. i can ritard timing by 4 degrees. without actually messing with cam gears. would that be enough or should i do it manually? and how much? i can put on a 50 shot if 75 is too much.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Test port on on the end of the fuel rail, drivers side. You have to unbolt the plug and buy the adapter.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
remember nos kits are rated at the flywheel. they make the least hp per rated jet. i would have went with a nx kit. they rate their kits at the wheels. just keep that in mind when your jetting.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so basically a NOS kit 75 shot is really around a 50 or 60 shot?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts