Focus Fanatics Forum banner

And in this corner...

440 views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  klepto 
#1 ·
We have a 2004 SVT Focus with minor bolt-ons.

Just got back from weighing the car, I'm quite happy with the results. The only things I can think that reduce weight are

ORP (CATs are heavy)
Fidanza (16 pounds baby!)
16x7 Rota Grids (7 pounds at each corner + smaller tires)

I also removed the rear carpet and spare tire and I was at a half-tank of gas.

So there's this scale about 5 minutes from my Dad's house that runs 24/7, my friend first showed it to me a year or so ago. I went once during the day, and it was weighing trucks with compacted recycled cardboard bales on them, but it is completely open and on all the time, with a red LED read-out that runs in increments of 20.

So tonight I took the car there, and with a half-tank of gas, it weighed at...

2,680 pounds with a margin of error of 19 pounds. My car is officially under 2700 pounds! This is with full heated seat Recaro interior, sunroof, etc. Not bad if you ask me. I'm very happy with that. [8D]

See less See more
#2 ·
nice. I'll get into doing some of this myself. I'm planning on removing UNSEEN things in the car to save some weight. Anything's better than nothing.

Now you have me curious if i can find one of those scales around here. Good lookin out.

#4 ·
thefrush said:
We have a 2004 SVT Focus with minor bolt-ons.

Just got back from weighing the car, I'm quite happy with the results. The only things I can think that reduce weight are

ORP (CATs are heavy)
Fidanza (16 pounds baby!)
16x7 Rota Grids (7 pounds at each corner + smaller tires)

I also removed the rear carpet and spare tire and I was at a half-tank of gas.

So there's this scale about 5 minutes from my Dad's house that runs 24/7, my friend first showed it to me a year or so ago. I went once during the day, and it was weighing trucks with compacted recycled cardboard bales on them, but it is completely open and on all the time, with a red LED read-out that runs in increments of 20.

So tonight I took the car there, and with a half-tank of gas, it weighed at...

2,680 pounds with a margin of error of 19 pounds. My car is officially under 2700 pounds! This is with full heated seat Recaro interior, sunroof, etc. Not bad if you ask me. I'm very happy with that. [8D]

That's awesome! I don't imagine that the Fidanza would make ANY real tangible difference in curb weight but the reduction in rotating mass must be substantial.

#5 ·
wow thats actuallt very light....hmmm ryan we need to find one around here to see what our cars weigh, im sure mine is alittle heavier cause of the blower and some of the stereo.

#6 ·
was this with you in or out of the car? i know i weighted my zx3 at the local drag strip and with me in it w/ the spare and jack and a bunch of other crap in the car it weighed in right at 2700 lbs.

#9 ·
Get a lightweight battery. That can easily dump another 25 pounds in the best possible place, high and way out in front.

#14 ·
gump1114 said:
was this with you in or out of the car? i know i weighted my zx3 at the local drag strip and with me in it w/ the spare and jack and a bunch of other crap in the car it weighed in right at 2700 lbs.

So what would that be without you in the car?

2700 - (jack+spare/etc 35lbs?) - (you ???lbs) = ??? I am assuming that your ZX3 weighed in at less than 2500lbs or close to it? That's light!!!! What did you do to it?

#16 ·
Oni said:
Seal that sunroof. Get rid of the rear seats. Unplug and remove the factory stereo equipment. I bet you have well over 50-75lbs right there at least. [;)]
I also wouldn't be able to carry rear passengers, listen to music, or open the sunroof. No thanks.

#17 ·
I like the sunroof, and stereo! lol

I'd bet that the quickest, and easiest way to loose the weight for an AutoX event or something like that would be to do this-
1.) Optima Batt
2.) No jack, spare, or carpet
3.) Pop Rear Seats out

You could do that in a few minutes time... Some nice small rims would prob work wonders too.

Frush- were you in the car when you weighed it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.