Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Is anyone running the Anchor solid rubber passenger side motor mount? Just wonder how they hold up.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
I am unfamiliar with this brand. Typically everything has pointed to using the Ford OEM mount in that location if unless your going poly.

A solid rubber may be good because its the aftermarket liquid filled ones that tend to not last more than a year or two.

Is your factory one blown or are you looking for a performance increase? usually a blown passenger mount is indication that the dogbone mount at the transmission has also gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Massive poly inserts on my dogbone, and I ordered and paid for, what was described on Summits website, as a solid rubber passenger side mount. Did a brake job on Saturday and I looked at my passenger might. I saw some fluid along cap, think maybe it was water, nope turns out the cap came loose and it was hydraulic fluid.
Needless to say I was a little pissed off, it's only been on about 2 weeks and its not solid rubber like its suppose to be. I took a few pics and sent an email to Summit asking for a refund.
Just wondered if anyone ever purchased a solid rubber mount. Supposedly Anchor makes one and Westar, its for my daily driver focus with 275000 miles so not really looking for performance just reliability and quality, if need be I'll buy another OEM mount

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,214 Posts
The Anchor mounts are junk, typically find them at parts stores. I used to help work on Focus fleet vehicles and the Anchor mounts would last three months. The cap popped of and shredded the serpentine belt on one of the cars. The cheap castings on the dogbones would break, if the rubber didn't blow.

I had a brand new one for a Mustang in my hand and two of the rivets were already popped out... I don't think it would restrain a snarling 302.

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
If it is supposed to be a solid rubber one, Anchor quit making those long ago, the part number was voided back when I was in parts around 2009. I went looking for them then but NLA. Typically they ship standard crap hydro type mounts in solid mount part numbered boxes, as does Westar. Both are garbage as compared to a Ford branded part.

If someone paid $128 for an Anchor mount he was totally ripped off, they go for like $45 all day long and still lifetime warranty.

I personally have changed to Anchor branded mounts on several cars and haven't been happy with one yet, they pretty much all vibrate and break way too quick. But they have a large part of the mount market sewed up. Westar mounts are no better, all have rubber so hard it cracks more like plastic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have to agree with the negative reviews, I got stranded in the middle of nowhere because the cap fell of and the metal disk inside the mount fell and got wedged between the frame and the engine block. It cut the belt and wore out the plastic on the idler pulley. I you have one installed do yourself a favor and replace it with an OE mount. you never know when it will fail and worst of all where you will be when it does.

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
I had like 3 blow the tops out like that but got lucky and all 3 times the pieces missed getting caught in the belt.

When rebuilding the mounts it becomes very obvious that they are not made nearly as well as OEM, the OEM takes great force to pry out the top plate, it comes right out simply prying with a screwdriver on the Anchor ones. Why the plate comes out so damn easy. The action of the normal mount is to have the plate battered to damp out vibration there, after a short while the parts come loose. Same on OEM but the better construction techniques make it take a whole lot longer to happen.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've had mine in for about a year now and I don't have any issues. If mine go out, I'll probably just go poly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
yea anchor brand mounts are sold through advance auto, they're good if you want a cheap replacement mount. your better off spending the little bit extra $$ and going with a good name brand mount or even oem. you get what you pay for

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've had mine in for about a year now and I don't have any issues. If mine go out, I'll probably just go poly.
So, I'm going to have to eat crow on this. Popped my hood earlier this week and noticed that the top of mine had blown off. Looks like I'll be buying a poly mount.

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
On a bad day the top blowing out could even bring a car down permanently if the torn up belt then wraps up solid to destroy major parts............on any aftermarket one I've torn apart to rebuild, the top plate under the plastic cover and the rubber bladder seal will pry out easily with a screwdriver whereas Ford ones you almost have to break the aluminum casting to get that plate out. The difference in retention there is marked and why the aftermarket ones blow the top out so commonly. The mounts cost maybe $5-$7 to make in China and why no incentive to make them better, they can give you 4-5 new ones under lifetime warranty and STILL make good money there at the price of $60, what ours sold for. Like foreign built alt rebuilds, they are pure junk.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Hi. Is anyone running the Anchor solid rubber passenger side motor mount? Just wonder how they hold up.
Garbage^^^^^^^^ Use a oem ford/motorcraft or a poly mount.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts