Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to put a different external voltage regulator on our 1st gens? Will this help with the alternator kicking off when we apply excessive throttle? the reason i ask is because I am running a high powered audio system and hate it when things quiet down when my alt kicked of while i cruise down the highway and then kicks back on

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
just get another batter and put it in your trunk wire the amp from there. it wont draw so much off the alt.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have never run across a car where the voltage regulator purposely shuts off current to the alternator field windings. I would look for a faulty regulator or alternator.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
bad battery maybe... mine was actually just doing that now that i think of it. replaced the battery and works great now. get the battery tested and alternator. the alt should be some where around 14-15volts. battery depends on the battery you have.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It is most likely a faulty alternator...especially if your alternator is the original one for the car. It will show your battery light most likely when you rev the engine or give it some gas on the highway, and go off when you let off. Or it may just not work altogether, but it definately sounds like a alternator going out. I would get it checked at your local auto parts store, they usually check them for free. Otherwise you may be stranded sometime soon lol

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^This

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
AAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL OOOOFFFFFF TTTHHHHHHIIIIISSSSSSS ^^^^^

It is most likely a faulty alternator...especially if your alternator is the original one for the car. It will show your battery light most likely when you rev the engine or give it some gas on the highway, and go off when you let off. Or it may just not work altogether, but it definately sounds like a alternator going out. I would get it checked at your local auto parts store, they usually check them for free. Otherwise you may be stranded sometime soon lol
Hopefully not this ^^^ lol!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts